What I/you did today on the bike

Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hoot
I had a rear flat so i changed out my tube for a bridgestone ultra heavy duty and i swapped the tire for a dunlop d606. I went with the 130/90-18. Definitely a beefy tire. Yeah it's a bitch to mount. Especially with two talon rim locks.
Same tire on my off-road rear wheel and I busted a sweat spooning it on . I hope I get more efficient at changing it out, or maybe not as that would only come about from a need to change it out often. Maybe my tubliss install will help me out. I know it's a big and heavy tire but I ain't gonna be going too fast. Besides I learned mountainbiking that fat low pressure tires are the best in rough terrain. I ran tubeless at 20psi or so which is much lower than needed with tubes.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Reinstalled the stock slide spring, and a NGK (4218) CR8EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug.. Power ramp-up and throttle response has very likely improved below 7k rpm - since I haven't been on this bike in quite a while (I have 11 bikes at last count.. Yeah, it's an illness..), my dyno-butt is waay outta tune.. She still pulls 1st gear power-only wheelies about the same as before. There is a noticeable jump-o-powah at 5-5.5k while at WOT from 3.5k.. One thing tho - I think my PAYRAY CDI module is loaded up with the stock curve and my best-to-date test curve - switching from one to the other and testing a 2nd gear snap-and-hold WOT from 3K rpm , the test curve produces a noticeable leap in power ramp-up compared to the stock curve.. I'll get a laptop on it and double check the iggy maps currently loaded on it..

I hope the stock spring will allow more precise testing of ignition maps by providing a more "correct" fueling curve below 7K. I was getting fluctuations in acceleration testing that caused a lot of grief and wasted effort in my ignition project..

Old 10-20-2016, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I have 11 bikes at last count.. Yeah, it's an illness..

Old 10-21-2016, 03:43 AM

First post!

Re-installed the stock muffler, 2Bros M7 installed by PO is too loud for me. Swapped my DJ128 main for the 124 at the same time, via the "rotate the carb in place" method learned on this forum, thanks guys!

Took it for a spin on the street and it's running great!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats Greg!

Today (ok, yesterday) took my KLX to my favorite waterfall here in Borneo

I still haven't done much off-road riding with it; this was probably my first serious scramble, keeping up with the other guys over seriously dodgy dirt roads.

Nearly lost it on a steep ascent when it decided to jump out of 1st gear just when I really needed some power - for now I'll blame myself and presume I must have touched the gear lever with my boot.

Have added the most hideous and ugly hard plastic panniers you can possibly imagine. Well, the panniers are OK but the fitting is ridiculous and very obviously these POS were never, ever, intended for this bike.

Far too high, far too wide, right side is solid because partially resting the bracket on the exhaust, while the left side is a bit lower and (comparatively) weak.

They'll do for now, but so stupidly high and wide that it's embarrassing to ride with them. Will have to try and find some that are actually designed for a scrambler with a high exhaust, which these obviously aren't.

Much as I love living here in Borneo the thing i really hate is how awkward it is to find anything, anything at all, that isn't some cheap plastic crap used by a lot of the locals. If it doesn't come under that heading then the chances of finding it in any local shops are slim.

I'm going through the same nightmare trying to find a decent but affordable coffee machine and grinder... :'(

(On a positive note, my ugly fat, high and stupidly wide panniers held my heavy tool roll and a spare liter of fuel one one side and my camping gear on the other, without any problems. So there's that?)

Last edited by Bigs; 10-28-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Installed this sexy bad boy today: RSC EX-pull clutch lever. It's a two finger dream.

Also finished up with the Edge 2 kit (& 12 o'clock lab board) with flush mount turn signals rear and LED fronts with running light kit.

Attached Thumbnails What I/you did today on the bike-20161028_182749.jpg   What I/you did today on the bike-20161028_172630.jpg  
Old 10-29-2016, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

How bright are those flush mount signals?

Old 10-29-2016, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
How bright are those flush mount signals?

They are much brighter than I anticipated being LED's. I went with the flush mount because it increased the visual radius of the indicator providing a side marker effect as well as being seen from the rear along with the 12 O'Clock Lab indicator of the tail light. My 15 and 17 year old ride this bike around town and to school so I was looking to increase the visibility/safety as well as the cleaner look of the bike that I like.

Same with the front, cleaner look with the smaller, streamline LED's but a brighter more visible light, particularly safer with the running light adapter I installed. Can't get this image to load vertically for what ever reason.

Last edited by Houstons4; 10-29-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Picture loads sidways?
Old 10-29-2016, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Houston where did you get the lights from? I've been wanting to switch to led's as well.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
Houston where did you get the lights from? I've been wanting to switch to led's as well.

I ordered everything from 12 O'clock Labs. This consisted of:
--Edge 2 LED tail light assembly (it's specific for our KLX 250s)
--Processor board upgrade that they pre-installed
--Flush mount rear turn signals (LED)
--Front turn signals (LED)
--The fixed rate turn signal flasher for the LED's (this is not a must if you don't mind extra fast flashing rate).
--The running light adapter for the new front indicators

Whole thing was just over $300 bucks, and they pre-wire everything so installation was easy (electrical is the bane of my existence), if I could do it anyone can. Loads of installation videos out there.

12oClockLabs Store
I called them before ordering with a bunch of questions, owner is tremendous, their customer service is absolutely top notch. I found their site confusing but after speaking with their owner for 30 minutes or so it all made sense. Great company.

They sell all of DRC stuff but they install their control board that provided the integrated indicators and safety pulse break light mode.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Houstons4; 10-29-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike