What I/you did today on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What I/you did today on the bike

I am surprised not to see a sticky thread on what you did today on your bike. Maybe this is the start. Today I wrestled the rear tire off my SF. My very first motorcycle tire removal. Stock/OEM shoe 130/70-17. Ran out of time because I gotta go to work. Thinking about ditching the inner tube. Tubliss does not carry a product for SM wheels, I asked them. I have seen a video where a guy in the PI uses some roofing mastic or something to make a tubeless rim spoke hole seal. I was considering masking off the inner sides of the rim and spraying in some of that Flex Seal product to make the tubeless conversion. I am thinking that if I clean and roughen up the surface the flex seal will bond well and be pretty easy to use too. Anyone try this?

Attached Thumbnails What I/you did today on the bike-image.jpg  

Last edited by snappster; 05-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
I am surprised not to see a sticky thread on what you did today on your bike. Maybe this is the start. Today I wrestled the rear tire off my SF. My very first motorcycle tire removal. Stock/OEM shoe 130/70-17. Ran out of time because I gotta go to work. Thinking about ditching the inner tube. Tubliss does not carry a product for SM wheels, I asked them. I have seen a video where a guy in the PI uses some roofing mastic or something to make a tubeless rim spoke hole seal. I was considering masking off the inner sides of the rim and spraying in some of that Flex Seal product to make the tubeless conversion. I am thinking that if I clean and roughen up the surface the flex seal will bond well and be pretty easy to use too. Anyone try this?
I saw a CB550 that had a "tubleles" front tire ala duct tape over the spoke holes! Not that I would do that.

There is no reason why a good sealer would not work. Only question related to that is bead design. Tubeless tires require a specific shape for proper seal, you'd just have to be sure the rim bead is similar in size and shape to be sure.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yesterday I took out my TM36-68 and replaced the 1.0 air jet with the 0.9. I like it better. It's got more control at very small throttle openings. Good stuff. The sad part is I am now so good at pulling the carb, having done it so many times! In and out in about an hour! Complete with jet swap.

Last week I did front and rear brake fluid and pads. Whoa, what a difference that made. I used SRT pads, which were really cheap but work very well. Super happy with them. I also installed a BB stainless front brake line. If you're bike is an '06 or '07 it's way beyond time you changed that fluid!

Last edited by taxonomy; 05-20-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
I didn't read your entire post until I was going to reply. I was going to suggest Flex Seal".

Old 05-21-2015, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been nursing a slow leak with my ccm hand pump...

Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Try re-seating the valve core, it might help, unless you know it's a puncture.
I finished wearing the front tire ***** off...I need to slow down in the twisties, for knobbies sake!
I love commuting on the bike, I got some dirt in on the way home!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

First ride on BB#466 this AM. Even with stock carb Dinojetted and stock exhaust, this is a Completely different bike. Slight increase in vibration (expected with such a big piston) and expecting higher fuel consumption but Very happy so far Many thanks to Adventures 351.0 and all those that contributed. Made it much easier to install! After break in may try a Pumper Carb but so far Lovin it!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Like flex seal

Sprayed on some rubber sealing stuff. 2nd coat tonight. Think I will lay on the entire can, maybe do some testing, then mount the rear tire this weekend. Hoping for a cheap and easy DIY tubeless conversion.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fail:flex seal

After two coats there is still much porosity around the spoke nipples, in the flex seal type of sealant. So flex seal is out and the new tubeless spoke sealant is by liquid nails. Drilled out the rim to fit the 90deg tubeless tire valve stem. After all nipples are sealed and dry I will install the rim strip and spoon the tire on tomorrow.

Last edited by snappster; 05-24-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
Yesterday I took out my TM36-68 and replaced the 1.0 air jet with the 0.9. I like it better. It's got more control at very small throttle openings. Good stuff. The sad part is I am now so good at pulling the carb, having done it so many times! In and out in about an hour! Complete with jet swap.
Hmm I was sure my TM36 carb came with no air jet..

I also thought the air jet was mostly in play at the higher rpms?

Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike