What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Default What is this?

Hi All...new member, and new owner of a 2007 KLX250s. This is my first bike in 20 years, so I'm easing into it. I don't have my service or owners manual yet, and was wondering what this gizmo is? Any help is appreciated.

TIA

JJ

Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Manual cam chain tensioner?

Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

+1
Yup, looks like a Kreiger - aftermarket manually adjusted one... upgraded, not a factory self-adjusting (self-failing) version.

The PO of your bike did his/her research!

TC

Old 10-15-2015, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it is a Krieger tensioner.. They worked pretty good. Good enough to have a thousand or so on the KLXs around the world. Not bragging, just kind of tickles me. I make them with some original design help from TNC. Fun stuff!

If you want a copy of the installation instructions, which have the adjustment process on it, PM me and I can send you a copy by email or you can go to kriegercamchaintensioners.com and find them under "about tensioners".

Old 10-16-2015, 02:22 AM

Thank a bunch Gents! You guys nailed it.

KLX678, thanks for the link.

It seems to be running fine so I'm not gonna mess around with it.

Now...I will look into adding a kickstarter :-)

Old 10-16-2015, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
Thank a bunch Gents! You guys nailed it.

KLX678, thanks for the link.

It seems to be running fine so I'm not gonna mess around with it.

Now...I will look into adding a kickstarter :-)
No problem, you only adjust it when you hear clicking when the bike is at full operating temperature - which won't be too often.

As for a kick starter, your call. I've got 49,000 miles on a KLX650 and my 250 has 16,000 miles without need for a kick starter. Keep the battery charged decently if the bike sits for long periods, use a good battery like a Yuasa, not a Bikemaster or other cheapie, and you will have no need for a kick starter. The other thing is to ride with a friend, someone who could help if you ever needed to bump start the bike - which I have had to do on the 650 when I was too stupid to put in a new plug when I should have.

That money would be better spent on having the suspension set up or some other modification that would be of constant value.

Of course that is my opinion, but with more and more pure off roaders going e-start due to the dependability of using them, it might be the opinion of a lot of people. Fact is there are a lot of unused kick and pull starters on ATVs for the same reason.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride my KLX to Jersey Joes and get cheese steaks...juss say'n...