went on a ride today, my speedo is only 1 MPH off

Old 05-26-2014, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default went on a ride today, my speedo is only 1 MPH off

I took the klx on a ride in the Sierra Nevada Mtns, not far from my home. Its an old railroad grade from the late 1800's 29 miles long. My buddy took his BWW 800. It was obvious the little KLX was more built for this type of riding vrs his BMW. Anyway i had him clock my speedo with his bike and mine is only 1 MPH off. But it was a fun day in the wilderness, makes me want to do more riding in the mountains, next time i will take the VTX1800 beast out...( but i wont be riding this trail on it, lol.)

Last edited by mtnman; 05-26-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Gearing won't change the speedo.
Mine isn't as far off since I started using a slightly taller than stock tire.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

OR! The BMW speedo is off the same amount as the KLX.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
OR! The BMW speedo is off the same amount as the KLX.
This^^^^^^

Old 05-26-2014, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

QUOTE=ol'klx-er;511039]OR! The BMW speedo is off the same amount as the KLX. [/QUOTE]

This^^^^^^

And yes gearing won't change it, it is fed off of the front wheel.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Gearing won't change the speedo.
Mine isn't as far off since I started using a slightly taller than stock tire.
DOH, I realized that while i was out mowing my lawn, LOL> the front wheel isn't connected to the rear, stupid thought.... I guess the heat got to me, lol
But, so why is everyone that has ever owned a klx say the speedo is off and mine isn't. Unless the previous owner fixed it somehow. I doubt the BMW is off, if a 16k dollar bike has a speedo off exactly 1mph different than mine, i would be surprised.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtnman
DOH, I realized that while i was out mowing my lawn, LOL> the front wheel isn't connected to the rear, stupid thought.... I guess the heat got to me, lol
But, so why is everyone that has ever owned a klx say the speedo is off and mine isn't. Unless the previous owner fixed it somehow. I doubt the BMW is off, if a 16k dollar bike has a speedo off exactly 1mph different than mine, i would be surprised.
I wouldn't.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtnman
You're permitted to have stupid thoughts. I have - plenty - and I would venture to say we all have. Kind of like what I've said about watching out for idiot drivers... If we all watch out for idiot drivers then when we're the drivers others will be on the watch for us!

Don't bet on the money making for a correct speedo. Heck, maybe YOURS is right and the BMW speedo is within 1 mph of yours!
(BMW owner) (you)

The best check is a GPS reading or maybe one of those cop radar read out signs. Found my truck was pretty much dead on with one of those big speed signs.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

My 07 would read 10 miles faster at 65 mph actual speed is 55 but when going below 50, 45 would read 40. Still on stock tires I re calibrated the speedo using my windows phone and using Here Maps with built in MPH/GPS. Now I'm about 3 MPH over which is perfect. Just took the speedo unit out and turned the needle back from 65 to 55 holding the bulb turning the needle on it's shaft super ez fix. Now it reads proper from 5 to 85 MPH with 1% error.

From what I've seen most KLX's read faster 10 to 11% error from factory.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gtklx250
My 07 would read 10 miles faster at 65 mph actual speed is 55 but when going below 50, 45 would read 40. Still on stock tires I re calibrated the speedo using my windows phone and using Here Maps with built in MPH/GPS. Now I'm about 3 MPH over which is perfect. Just took the speedo unit out and turned the needle back from 65 to 55 holding the bulb turning the needle on it's shaft super ez fix. Now it reads proper from 5 to 85 MPH with 1% error.

From what I've seen most KLX's read faster 10 to 11% error from factory.

Tried that on my 09, but I couldn't get a good grip on the LCDs to twist 'em!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: went on a ride today, my speedo is only 1 MPH off