Weekend Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Weekend Ride Report

Well I did a quick Saturday ride a few hours north of my home town. Went alone and had a blast. I started off around Rohnert Park, left my Jeep/trailer at a friend's then took off on the Kawi. Went north on 101, fueled up in Cloverdale then from there it was roads less traveled. 128 to Fish Rock, awesome twisties, 20 miles of dirt that headed towards the coast. Caught highway 1 and headed south. Got lunch and topped off my tank in Gualala. If you ever pass through there be sure to stop at Bones BBQ. So goooooooood!

I continued south to Jenner and went east bound along the Russian River, after a few miles I crossed south and cut through Occidental to a few other roads, the names escape me right now. They led me through vineyards and eventually into Sebastopol where I picked up main roads and made my way to Sonoma before heading home. It was an awesome little solo adventure. Just shy of 200 miles. Next on my list is Big Sur area.

Fuel up!

Highway 128

Fish Rock

Pavement Ends

Steady Cruise'n to the Coast

That's Not 40 Feet to the Ocean, it's Like 40 Yards.

Sums it Up!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice r/r, great pictures. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Man, what beautiful country! How I'd love to see it. Great pics.

One question: was fuel tank capacity a concern? Looks like you have an aftermarket tank, but not the big Acerbis.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Fuel was not a problem at all even for a stock tank. But yes I've got an IMS 3 gallon tank, it's awesome for desert and rides in the Sierras.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Love that area, wish I rode up there more. Looks like you had a great ride!

I highly recommend packing a tent and sleeping bag for the long ride up to CA rt36 and the surrounding areas. Route 36 is like a roller coaster, it was so much fun I turned around and did it again. Almost ran out of fuel and lost my shift lever bolt (not the KLX) from shifting so much.
I rode it from just north of Humboldt Redwoods out to 5.
Don't know if this link will show it at the scale I'm viewing it at but let's try...

Nope it didn't work.

Look it up on google earth or something...you won't regret going even if you don't look it up. It's mostly road with a gravel mtn pass, but the road is like a motorcyclist laid it out...up, down, left, right, up and right, down and left...you get the idea.

Last edited by MaximusPrime; 06-13-2014 at 02:44 AM. Reason: My link was no damn good
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Awesome ride report man. I wish I'd had my KLX when I lived out in Cali. You covered a lot of ground!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikeybb
Awesome ride report man. I wish I'd had my KLX when I lived out in Cali. You covered a lot of ground!
My next "local" ride is Big Sur. Big Sur is about 2.5-3 hours south from my home in the south bay. They seem to have decent dirt roads that go through the park and to camp sites and other highways. It should be a nice relaxing ride. Not sure if I'm going to make it a "hell of a" day trip or bring my hammock and camp it. We'll see. I'll be sure to post up soon as I do it one of these weekends.

Highway 36 looks like wicked fun. 140 miles one way is a bit of an enduro on a 250! I'd be down, I'll have to plan a Red Bluff or Shasta trip and include that road.

I've been wheeling for almost 7 years. I've seen Moab and the most obscure places in Nevada and all kinds of places in the Sierras, hell I even wheeled in Washington State. But I've never seen so much of California like I have in the last year that I've owned the KLX, I love it. I should of skipped track cars and Jeeps and went right into motorcycles. Riding is the greatest thing.

End rant...

Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I had a Tacoma while I was out there and got in with a real good Toyota offroad community. Did a lot of rocky trails in Southern California. It was a lot of fun, but now I'm back home in Nebraska again and there's not a rock to be found (or much public land that allows riding).

Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome sauce!!!.......did I really just say that? LOL

Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Awesome sauce!!!.......did I really just say that? LOL
I would of accepted cool beans too!

Originally Posted by Mikeybb
I had a Tacoma while I was out there and got in with a real good Toyota offroad community. Did a lot of rocky trails in Southern California. It was a lot of fun, but now I'm back home in Nebraska again and there's not a rock to be found (or much public land that allows riding).
I never would of guessed that Nebraska doesn't have much public land for riding. California has a lot to offer, Nevada is off the hook and the Sierras are pretty sweet. There are a lot of parks that offer riding too but they tend to be crowded and not my cup o tea. Living in the Bay Area is great but kind of sucks if your into my kind of hobbies. The only crappy part is we're always being harassed by the Sierra Club and Center for Biological Perversity I mean Diversity. When I say "we" I mean anyone who doesn't hike. They want to shut down just about anyone and anything to preserve everything. I'm all for clean water, air and treading lightly but Jesus Christ people have a right to enjoy the outdoors how they like as well. To them if you lay a tent down your impacting the soil, erosion and grubs living under you. If you hang a hammock your ruining the bark and your shadow is confusing the ground hog below you. Thats why I just put my helmet on and get some therapy on two wheels.

Quick Reply: Weekend Ride Report