Web Cams Camshafts?

Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Web Cams Camshafts?

i am in the process of rebuilding my KLX. long story short, cam chain broke and bad stuff happened. i need new exhaust valves, as well as other things. soooo, since the head is apart and bare i might as well "do it all at once". my plan (for the head) is to get all new stainless valves, springs/Ti retainers, cams, and a port and polish. all that stuff would be coming from Web Cams Inc., except the P&P. i was looking at the 101 grind but i saw on here that Klxster said "There is evidence that the Webcams 101 may not be worth the money. The 101's were not designed for use in a stock bore. They were designed for Larry Roeselers' stroked race bike". i will most definitely be doing a 351 and pumper, just not right now at this moment due to money restrictions. the reason i want to build the head now is so i only have to shim it once. i dont feel like doing it again and then waiting for more shims. i guess my question is will this setup be fine until i big bore it? and is this a good cam to use with the 351? the other mods im doing at this time are as follows:
MCM, lidless, K&N air filter, full exhaust, dynojet kit 2152. i dont think im forgetting anything. side note- when i do the 351 the cam timing will be set back to normal

Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, there is no information concerning doing the MCM with Webcams. Not saying it won't work, just saying no one has researched it and tried it..

You can certainly call Bill Blue for information on all this. I'm sure he will tell you what he told me - that the stock cams are best, compared to the webcams 101's, in his experience.

There is also no information about the more aggressive Webcams #55. Neither I nor Bill knows of anyone that has used the #55's..

Consider getting his exhaust system - if you need exhaust.. It may make power we've not seen before..

When you get-r-all-done, I can help you with the optimal CVK setup..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Valve shims

FYI, I had to re-shim when I installed the 351 BBK. I had checked at 12,000kms and the clearance was fine. But at 15,000 (ish?) after I installed the 351 cylindar, the exhaust side was too tight. I hadnt checked prior to installation, so there's a chance it was already too tight. But my working theory is that the cams were pulled down closer to the tappets when re-torqued.

If you're going to wrench on this bike for a while, do yourself a favour and grab one of those assorted shim kits. I had to wait a week for a handful of Kawi shims to arrive (which were almost as much as a full kit!)

P.S. my trick to extract the shim and tappet cover was to use a strong mechanics magnet (and I was paranoid of dropping the shim into the cam chain area!)

Old 02-03-2017, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the 101 cams in my 351. I had the 351 with the oe carb and she did ok. Had a rod bearing fail and needed to come apart-decided to add the cams then..before they became crazy expensive. Bottom line-added much better overrev and did enhance power throughout the rev range.
Would I do it again? Would I add the expense of porting the head? No-unless I just wanted to do it. There are MUCH more capable bikes to start with so it doesn't make alot of sense to throw money at this bike-kind of the opposite reason I got the thing in the first place....

Old 02-03-2017, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

No doubt the 101's are very effective with a 351. Considering that the 351 has to suck and blow through 250 ports, cams, and valves, anything that helps breathing would certainly add biggy power.. But for a stockbore they may not be worth the time, trouble, and cost..

Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
No doubt the 101's are very effective with a 351. Considering that the 351 has to suck and blow through 250 ports, cams, and valves, anything that helps breathing would certainly add biggy power.. But for a stockbore they may not be worth the time, trouble, and cost..

So...you're saying the KLX sucks and blows? Hater!

Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

behandy, thank you for that tid bit of info. that's something i overlooked and didnt even think about. do you know where can i get the shim kit?
GBAUTO, how is the set up now with the pumper carb? the P&P is only $150, not sure what others payed. i saw somewhere it said $700??

Old 02-04-2017, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Why did the cam chain break?

Old 02-04-2017, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Hotcams has shims.

Last edited by NEWPARTSRULE; 02-04-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scubiedoo22
GBAUTO, how is the set up now with the pumper carb? the P&P is only $150, not sure what others payed. i saw somewhere it said $700??
The carb's biggest impact is throttle response-I suppose that it's possible to get better results from the oe CVK but it was a problem for me when trying to navigate some of the more challenging offroad sections.
I also did some clean up and matching of the ports when I had it apart. My professional background is in hi performance automotive so I've seen quite a few heads. Based on that, my opinion of the port design of the head is a major impediment. The exhaust port is a compromise because of the elbow it has to make to clear the frame downtube. I just don't think that any potential gain is going to warrant anything beyond what you're going to get for the money. I did it because I was already in there and had the equipment to do it. sorta like..You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Web Cams Camshafts?