WEAK front brake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 AM
Default WEAK front brake!!!

I have an 09 I bought new. Last season I put ASV levers on both sides, LOVE EM!!! This spring now my front is feeling super weak. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Feels sticky, not constant. New fluid in, bled really nice, same crap. I can get a ton of leverage and control with that adjustable ASV. I pull hard enough the lever goes right to my grip. It used to pull nice with confidence and consistency, now you really gotta three finger that sucker followed by a 2 second delay and then the front shocks just squash, tired of it. Can I rebuild something? That line getting super spongy weak? Anybody got some experiences with this. I looked at some older posts on here, some of that stuff was from 07 and older bikes. Is there such a thing as a rebuild kit? What's it all consist of? Stainless Steel lines? Who's got em for the 09? It doesn't take much to pull the lever right to the grip. If you get on it and start squeezing, you can feel the pressure build to a point, then shortly after that it will give out and go right to the grip if you hold it at that same pressure. It's dangerous I hate it. Never cared for the front or rear brake on that bike. Time to dump some money I suppose, I take my brakes seriously, they have to be perfect all the time. My rears getting weak too come to think of it. DANG!!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Many of us have gone to a stainless braided front brake line to firm up braking response and feel at the lever. I'm not familiar with your levers, but unless the adjustment is off, I wouldn't think your lever should go almost to the grip. That kind of sponginess usually indicates air in the system. It sounds like you addressed this, but again, I'm not familiar with your aftermarket levers. Also remember that many aftermarket levers are made to assume an optimum, high performance brake system. As delivered, the KLX front brake isn't at that high a level. That's why many of us have swapped in a stainless braided line.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Depending on how old the brake fluid was there might be some crud in your master cylinder. Inspect the front brake line very carefully for nicks and bulging.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Your Lever should never go that close to your grip
Check your pads or caliper.. Reset your pistons