USB port - Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default USB port - Kit

Has anyone added to their KLX or any other bike a USB port? I would love some first hand suggestions of brands/models someone was happy with.

Thanks,

Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I added this a few months ago.
Amazon.com: USB All Weather Power Outlet Charger: Electronics Amazon.com: USB All Weather Power Outlet Charger: Electronics

Initially, I connected it directly to the battery but after my bike sat unused for a couple weeks and killed the battery, I discovered there is a slight draw on the USB plug. I've since tied into the tailight wiring so the plug is only live when the key is on.

Having the USB port is very handy for iPhone charging. I also have a 12v cigarette plug which is usually in use with my GPS.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I have and I love it. Here are two threads, read them carefully first.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...install-38003/
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-switch-38354/

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I made something similar but with an SAE connector on the end that I connect to my battery tender lead - essentially its connected directly to the battery. I did measure the current draw and it is very very low, almost 0mA. IF there is something connected to the USB port then its a different story and it can drain the battery.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info everyone. For the record it wouldnt let me search for USB and all the other words I could think of were way to common and not bringing up much! Thanks for digging up those threads.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David Larocque
I made something similar but with an SAE connector on the end that I connect to my battery tender lead - essentially its connected directly to the battery. I did measure the current draw and it is very very low, almost 0mA. IF there is something connected to the USB port then its a different story and it can drain the battery.
I was surprised by the draw. My bike sat unused for 2 weeks and that was long enough to kill the battery (nothing connected to the USB port). I suppose my battery could be weak although I haven't had any starting or other issues.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I think after all the reading I am going to probably install a standard 12v cigarette style plug straight to the battery. Seems like the consensus is that wont drain the battery when not in use. If I need to use USB port I will get one of the small adapters to plug in.

Kawasaki Forums - Pedrowitus's Album: Maryland KLX250S - Picture

I very much like how this guy mounted his. I wish there were more pictures that showed how this face plate was mounted. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arickrock
I think after all the reading I am going to probably install a standard 12v cigarette style plug straight to the battery. Seems like the consensus is that wont drain the battery when not in use. If I need to use USB port I will get one of the small adapters to plug in.

Kawasaki Forums - Pedrowitus's Album: Maryland KLX250S - Picture

I very much like how this guy mounted his. I wish there were more pictures that showed how this face plate was mounted. Anyone got any ideas?
Don't forget a fuse.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Arickrock
Send him a PM and ask.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

No faith in me yet huh? Did that yesterday just havent heard anything back yet.

Quick Reply: USB port - Kit