Go Back   Kawasaki Forums > Kawasaki Motorbikes > Kawasaki Dual Purpose Models > KLX 250S
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Default USB port - Kit

Has anyone added to their KLX or any other bike a USB port? I would love some first hand suggestions of brands/models someone was happy with.

Thanks,

Register now for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I added this a few months ago.
Amazon.com: USB All Weather Power Outlet Charger: Electronics Amazon.com: USB All Weather Power Outlet Charger: Electronics

Initially, I connected it directly to the battery but after my bike sat unused for a couple weeks and killed the battery, I discovered there is a slight draw on the USB plug. I've since tied into the tailight wiring so the plug is only live when the key is on.

Having the USB port is very handy for iPhone charging. I also have a 12v cigarette plug which is usually in use with my GPS.
'09 KLX250 S, Perilli MT 43 rear, XCMS front, 13 tooth counter sprocket, Pro Taper SE KX bend, kickstand switch removal mod, whale tail fender chop, Sargent seat, shift star replacement (precautionary), Wolfman Enduro tank bag, tool bag, and E-10 saddle bags, PMR side racks.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I have and I love it. Here are two threads, read them carefully first.

TAPP USB outlet install
Questions on battery charging and cut-off switch

2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
Dynojet FMF Q4 K&N Air Filter KDX Snorkel IMS Tank RAM Mount
15/42 Pirelli Scorpion MT 90/AT Pro Moto Rack Seat Concepts
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I made something similar but with an SAE connector on the end that I connect to my battery tender lead - essentially its connected directly to the battery. I did measure the current draw and it is very very low, almost 0mA. IF there is something connected to the USB port then its a different story and it can drain the battery.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info everyone. For the record it wouldnt let me search for USB and all the other words I could think of were way to common and not bringing up much! Thanks for digging up those threads.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Larocque View Post
I made something similar but with an SAE connector on the end that I connect to my battery tender lead - essentially its connected directly to the battery. I did measure the current draw and it is very very low, almost 0mA. IF there is something connected to the USB port then its a different story and it can drain the battery.
I was surprised by the draw. My bike sat unused for 2 weeks and that was long enough to kill the battery (nothing connected to the USB port). I suppose my battery could be weak although I haven't had any starting or other issues.
'09 KLX250 S, Perilli MT 43 rear, XCMS front, 13 tooth counter sprocket, Pro Taper SE KX bend, kickstand switch removal mod, whale tail fender chop, Sargent seat, shift star replacement (precautionary), Wolfman Enduro tank bag, tool bag, and E-10 saddle bags, PMR side racks.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I think after all the reading I am going to probably install a standard 12v cigarette style plug straight to the battery. Seems like the consensus is that wont drain the battery when not in use. If I need to use USB port I will get one of the small adapters to plug in.

Kawasaki Forums - Pedrowitus's Album: Maryland KLX250S - Picture

I very much like how this guy mounted his. I wish there were more pictures that showed how this face plate was mounted. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arickrock View Post
I think after all the reading I am going to probably install a standard 12v cigarette style plug straight to the battery. Seems like the consensus is that wont drain the battery when not in use. If I need to use USB port I will get one of the small adapters to plug in.

Kawasaki Forums - Pedrowitus's Album: Maryland KLX250S - Picture

I very much like how this guy mounted his. I wish there were more pictures that showed how this face plate was mounted. Anyone got any ideas?
Don't forget a fuse.
'06 KLX250s. 351 Big Bore (#214); TM36-68 127.5 main, P4, 9EBY01-50 3rd down, 17.5 pilot, 0.9 air, 2 turns out; lid off; Acerbis 3.7 tank; FMF Power Bomb and Q4; RaceTech springs & Fork Gold Valves, TrailTech X2 & Vapor; Guts Racing Tall Seat; ThermoBob, Tubliss, more. 351 Build
'06 KLR650. '03 KDX220, '97 XR250R. '74 CR250M. '95 Honda Quad.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arickrock View Post
Send him a PM and ask.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

No faith in me yet huh? Did that yesterday just havent heard anything back yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 PM