09 KLX 250 Running Crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Default 09 KLX 250 Running Crap

Hi All,

New to this forum so hopefully you guys can help with a little issue I have.

I've not long had the bike and have no history with it, but it has started hunting ilding from 1200 - 2000 rpm then cutting out, also I'm getting over fuelling as when I took it for a quick spin, on deceleration it is popping every time.

Any ideas before I strip the carb down to the basics to see what is going on.

Thanks for looking and any help will be greatfuly received.

Brum.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Stuck float and/or debris in carb plugging in the pilot jet circuit would be my first guess. When you have the carb apart, used a can of Chemtool B12 carb spray with that little nozzle tube to stick into every orifice and spray the snot out of it...wear some plastic gloves and eye protection. Make sure you remove the pilot jet itself and spray B12 through it. You must see a clear path of light through that jet...and the main jet too, of course. Set the fuel level with a clear plastic tube on the outside of the carb when you reassemble everything. This is a better method to insure fuel level than the simple static measure of the float. Oh, and blow everything out with compressed air.

Last edited by TNC; 11-18-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

TNC, thanks for the quick response and advice I'll get some B12 before I start. What's to procedure with the clear hose for setting the fuel level?

Cheers

Brum.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Was the bike running good when you got it?

Have you done any modifications to it like removing the air box lid or opening up the exhaust?

Popping on deceleration can also be an indication of a lean mixture.
TNC's suggestion of checking the pilot jet is good. The hole in the jet is very small and can easily be restricted. It works in parallel with the idle mixture screw to control the fuel flow from idle to around 1/4 slide opening.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Hi Brewster,

I have had this bike only for a number of days it is an ex UK military bike which was serviced by Kawasaki UK each year, it was such a good price £800 I just brought it. It's a stock bike no mods, I was going to try the fuel mixture set up first before I strip it down.

Cheers

Brum.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM

Hi brum. The bike you have is a EFI model (Fuel Injected). The reason it backfires is because the core and baffles have been cut out the exhaust. You need to check and probably replace the air filter and run some Redex or similar through it buy mixing with the fuel. They only have about 400 miles on the clock so I can't see it being anything major. Run it into me at MT and I'll take a look.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Hi Scotty,

Mate where about's are you, do you know the history of the bike?

Cheers Brum.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

What exhaust do you have installed on the klx?
As Scotty stated it probably it a EFI model being in the uk.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Mate as far I know it has the stock exhaust, just had a check and it has Kawasaki stamped all over it!!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Brum, don't take this wrong, but if you weren't aware of your bike having a carb or FI, maybe you should take it to a local reliable mechanic.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX 250 Running Crap