Upgrades so far - what next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Upgrades so far - what next?

So far acquired, but not yet installed on my '13 KLX250s is the list below. My friend will be installing everything at the end of next month when it starts to warm up a little.
  • PMR rear and side racks
  • Rotopax 1 Gallon
  • Race Tech Shock Spring 6.4 kg/mm - Rear Spring (I am 6'1" 240 - Clydesdale Class)
  • KDX snorkel
  • FMF Racing PowerCore 4 Spark Arrestor Slip-On Exhaust
  • Moose Jet Kit Stage 1 and 2
  • HiFloFiltro Foam Air Filter
  • H4 LED replacement headlamp
  • 6 in LED light bar
  • 12V LiPo battery
  • Bark Buster hand guards

I would love to get one of these, but they don't have it for the KLX250 yet. It would be nice to have the option of 2 LED lamps instead of HID, but with the sliding windshield and integrated 12Vdc and dual USB ports, my little bike would start to look like a nice short to mid range adventure bike:
Britannia Composites Ltd - Lynx

I think that I have most things covered to have it perform pretty well. Am I missing anything obvious?

I am considering a big bore kit with the requisite carb replacement, but not sure which one to get.

Thanks for your time. So far the guys here have helped me to decide on a cover and a tank bag.

I have no material connection with any of these products or companies.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

That's quite a list!

I went with bill blues 351 kits and a tm36-68 pumper off eBay. Did lots of research and asked a lot of questions here...The bike is a completely different machine..

There is a bit of tinkering that needs to be done getting everything set up, but it's worth it!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, nice link.. The "Linx" is offered as a generic kit.. Fud for Thot..

Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you still have the stock handlebars? Would definitely swap them out if you do.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by outrecording
Do you still have the stock handlebars? Would definitely swap them out if you do.
Yes I do. What is the benefit of swapping them out and do you have a recommendation?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM
1st Gear Member

The stock bars are known to bend in a fall. So most people are replacing them before it happens.

Anything from protaper or renthal will do the job well. Can't comment on the specific bend; definitely a personal preference. The only other decision would be a fatbar or 7/8ths with crossbar. Another personal choice thing there.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

and fork springs...... no point in just re-springing the rear alone

Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Lynx has been fitted to a 2009+ KLX as i was the prototype install, PM me for info/help.
http://s23.postimg.org/lj3vn17d7/IMG_0029.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Upgrades so far - what next?-img_0029.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tysonb
[*]6 in LED light bar
On my KLX, I have some single LED lights (made my own 'number plate' out of sheet metal):
Shows the difference out on the trail
I've since added one of the 6" eBay LED light bars.

On my Husqvarna TE250, I mounted up two of the 6" LED bars (one on each Barkbuster) - one spot, one flood.

If you want them for the road, you really need to get a narrow beam (like 15 degree) spot, or you'll be blinding oncoming cars. For out on the trail, though, the combination of spot and flood beam LED's works great.

Re the rear spring, when I had the 09 KLX (for my son), we put a racetech 6.4kg/mm spring on it, and it made an immense difference for him (and he's more clydesdale than you.)

Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
The stock bars are known to bend in a fall. So most people are replacing them before it happens.

Anything from protaper or renthal will do the job well. Can't comment on the specific bend; definitely a personal preference. The only other decision would be a fatbar or 7/8ths with crossbar. Another personal choice thing there.
Funny, I've fallen a lot on my KLX - I've hit trees etc. and never bent the bars. My friend, on his WR250R bent his bars (riding the same terrain as me), and used that as an excuse to buy a fatbar (1" in the middle, tapers to 7/8" for the controls and grips), and mount. Maybe I've just been lucky, or the way that I've fallen/crashed each time...

Last edited by rgmr250; 02-17-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrades so far - what next?