Trail Riding in Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice loose rolling rock, narrow trail, fall off and you slide for abit...... A nice ride. Congrats

What was up with the horizontal sticks across the trail? A planned route?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice videos. I get stomach aches when I ride those tight single tracks.

Idaho should be split into two states. The north is way different then the south. Same mountain type just covered in trees. Way different political views also.
The south has way more single track then we do here.

Here is a video from a few years ago. I was on my Renegade.
Baldy1:

Last edited by cmott426; 07-03-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
What was up with the horizontal sticks across the trail? A planned route?
Hey Dragone...apology for late reply. These are water bars to direct rainfall/runoff off the trail and reduce erosion.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Some new material

Select 720HD if your connection supports it.

I'm sporting a new AFX FX-41 helmet now. I like the fit and think its a good improvement over the FX-39.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-11-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn, Idaho is on my bucket ride list for sure.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a trail from Labor Day weekend. Don't let the two-track nature of this one fool you. Up at the top, it's steep and covered with lose shale rock. Its a 2,500 ft climb in a little over three miles to a fire lookout that is open but not occupied. The lookout is stocked, clean, has a couple cots, and is ready for an over nighter. I like how folks around here can still take care of things on their own. I love this basin. Suzuki goes down at 7:05. Skip to about 10:30 to see the transition from intermediate to more challenging, and go to 14:45 to see the last grunt to the top. This trail nearly killed me two years ago. Lower gears and experience go a long way.

720HD

(some unsavory NSFW language at the very end)

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-12-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Vid shows the advantage of solid aggressive riding, on the pegs and adding power at the first sign of 'trouble'!
I see at the last part of the climb you lost momentum on that little corner and it took a bit to get it back and get the bike back on top of it's game.

Good ride, looks tough enough to be both exhilarating, challenging and rewarding. It would only take a momentary loss of concentration for it all to go sorta wrong.

Need your MoJo intact for that last section!

Last edited by Angier; 09-12-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Question:
How much of that relentless tractor power (I heard in the vid) was a direct result from the 351 kit??
It sounded as healthy as my DRZ400 does in those conditions and I'd love that in the much lighter KLX
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2014, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Angier
Vid shows the advantage of solid aggressive riding, on the pegs and adding power at the first sign of 'trouble'!
I see at the last part of the climb you lost momentum on that little corner and it took a bit to get it back and get the bike back on top of it's game.

Good ride, looks tough enough to be both exhilarating, challenging and rewarding. It would only take a momentary loss of concentration for it all to go sorta wrong.

Need your MoJo intact for that last section!

Yes, I did lose momentum. You should have seen the ride two years ago though. I fought that one for what seemed like forever. You are right...stay focused on the goal !!!

Originally Posted by Angier
Question:
How much of that relentless tractor power (I heard in the vid) was a direct result from the 351 kit??
It sounded as healthy as my DRZ400 does in those conditions and I'd love that in the much lighter KLX
Thanks!
I can't imagine trying to do this ride on a klx with stock 14/42 gears. For me, no way. A very experienced rider could do it with a ton of burning clutch. The 351 with the CVK carb is what I had the first run a couple years ago, but the TM36-68 pumper carb made a huge difference. I was surprised with this carb. It helped me tremendously on keeping the low end torque running without needing to constantly slip the clutch (which I'm admittedly not very good at).

Old 09-12-2014, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks.

I've ridden stuff like that and I know if you blink it's all over! At 15:00+/- you get bogged a bit and I love the way the engine pulled from near-idle, which is very much like my DRZ.

I'm not much of a clutch-slipper either, prefer to actually up-shift to the next gear and get on top of the rocks with greater speed. But that has its risks, to be sure.

I don't know if you've ridden a stock KLX much but ours doesn't seem to match what I saw your bike do in that video. Nice!

Bill Blue sells the TM 33/34 Mikuni, but I see you have the TM36/68? Is there a thread that explains this choice?

OK.....FOUND A THREAD ON THAT SUBJECT
Thanks

Last edited by Angier; 09-12-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Trail Riding in Idaho