Trail Riding in Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Trail Riding in Idaho

Here's from this weekend. This had me puckering more than I'm used to. The down-side exposure was,,,well,,,see for yourself.

The vids are long, so if you're short on time skip to around 3:15 and 9:45.

Same trail back down.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-02-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I have one question...why isn't it the Pabst Blue Ribbon Mountain Trail Riders? I think it would be more fitting...wouldn't you?

Good stuff, Scott. Tiny bit of exposure there, eh?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd have some serious pucker factor going on with that exposed drop!
It's really too bad the GoPro doesn't capture the steepness. I've only visited (on my way to Alaska we stopped for a run on the Selway, unfortunately for me I was #17 on a 16 person permit, so I dropped them off and toured the state) and I know that the mountains in Idaho are really steep.
Watching you cross the river I had a sigh of relief for you, then a couple of minutes later you are way, I mean WAY, above the river again. Holy steepness! I need to get out there and ride!
I should forsake NH and move to ID...more snow, less bugs, and better/bigger riding!
Nice vid (1st one). Now that I've stopped holding my breath, I'll watch the 2nd.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

That trail is too narrow with the droppoffs too steep, for me. I would have turned around, but WHERE?

Once you drop off the trail, wheels uphill, tank downhill, I know how hard it is to get back up on the trail, been there done that one. Thanks for 'mister muscles' coming along on a KTM and setting my bike up on its wheels (after I finally got it back up on the trail), I was done at that point. And they wanted through.

Not my idea of fun! At least you had someone with you.

Last edited by durielk; 07-02-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I have one question...why isn't it the Pabst Blue Ribbon Mountain Trail Riders? I think it would be more fitting...wouldn't you?

Good stuff, Scott. Tiny bit of exposure there, eh?
NO! I'm a Rainier quaffer. Not a PBR fan. We all enjoy a snip of whisky after the day is done.

The name comes from a ride where we celebrated the life of a passed rider friend, on Whiskey Mountain.

Tiny bit of exposure? More than I've ever had before!

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-02-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I'd have some serious pucker factor going on with that exposed drop!
It's really too bad the GoPro doesn't capture the steepness. I've only visited (on my way to Alaska we stopped for a run on the Selway, unfortunately for me I was #17 on a 16 person permit, so I dropped them off and toured the state) and I know that the mountains in Idaho are really steep.
Watching you cross the river I had a sigh of relief for you, then a couple of minutes later you are way, I mean WAY, above the river again. Holy steepness! I need to get out there and ride!
I should forsake NH and move to ID...more snow, less bugs, and better/bigger riding!
Nice vid (1st one). Now that I've stopped holding my breath, I'll watch the 2nd.
That's really too bad you missed the Selway run. Never done it, but heard many great things from those that have. I did get a chance to run the Middle Fork Salmon River for seven days on the river through wilderness. Rattle snakes, rapids, wild cutthroat trout, and a couple full clams at the end. Stay away from Idaho! It's dangerous and unforgiving!

Thanks for watching. Stop by if you make it this way.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
That trail is too narrow with the droppoffs too steep, for me. I would have turned around, but WHERE?

Once you drop off the trail, wheels uphill, tank downhill, I know how hard it is to get back up on the trail, been there done that one. Thanks for 'mister muscles' coming along on a KTM and setting my bike up on its wheels (after I finally got it back up on the trail), I was done at that point. And they wanted through.

Not my idea of fun! At least you had someone with you.
We turned around at the end of the first video. Spin on kickstand. For me with a big rock under the kicker because my bike sits high with the stiffer spring. Get to the high side of the trail and carefully, very carefully, spin her around and be happy she didn't let loose. It's good to be alive!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is one more. This one isn't nearly as puckering, just a nice trail ride. This trail is the southern end, heading north, of the trail we turned around on in the above videos. There was about two miles of trail in between that we didn't ride. Towards the end of this one, if you look off into the distance slightly to the right would be the area in the first two vids above.

Yes, it's long too. If you want the highlight, perhaps start at around 26:30 when we're on the ridge or the last couple minutes when we're on top of the summit.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-02-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the reason I don't get the East Coast/West coast thing.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Not sure about the East/West thing either, except we don't get much open trail due to trees and lower elevations.
But here's a taste of what's right across the road from my work (in Maine). Nothing special, but good for blowing off steam after work...lots of singletrack that I pass, I try and leave that for the kids without motors.
Ignore the last few minutes, I forgot to edit out me leaving the camera on as I walked up to the top.

Quick Reply: Trail Riding in Idaho