Trail Riding Essentials

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Some people go all nuts and carry everything.

I started out that way but then I cut back back here and there as I find some items just aren't that vital.

The most valuable things you can have are electrical tape, some wire and zip ties. I on all my off road excursions, these are almost always used.

A simple tool kit and tire levers. Remember, you aren't going to rebuild your bike in the woods, so why carry the whole garage with you? I make sure I can pull the plug, remove the seat to get to the filter, and that is about it. You can tear half the bike down with about 3 tools anyways.

I don't carry a spare tube. Back off the valve stem nuts and put some tire slime in the tires, air up to proper psi, and never ever have a flat tire. I do carry a simple little air compressor ( plugs into the leads for the battery tender ) and patch kit just in case but have never had to touch them. If you do carry a tube, you just need to carry a 21" front tube, as this will work in the rear tire in a pinch.

However I have found that even with a flat tire, if you go slow, a lot of times it won't even break the bead, so you can ride it out. Also, with tire levers, I have seen guys stuff leaves, grass, whatever in the tire to help keep it seated to ride out.

I think I am just stubborn and I simply refuse to change a tire in the wild.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Some people go all nuts and carry everything.

I started out that way but then I cut back back here and there as I find some items just aren't that vital.

The most valuable things you can have are electrical tape, some wire and zip ties. I on all my off road excursions, these are almost always used.

A simple tool kit and tire levers. Remember, you aren't going to rebuild your bike in the woods, so why carry the whole garage with you? I make sure I can pull the plug, remove the seat to get to the filter, and that is about it. You can tear half the bike down with about 3 tools anyways.

I don't carry a spare tube. Back off the valve stem nuts and put some tire slime in the tires, air up to proper psi, and never ever have a flat tire. I do carry a simple little air compressor ( plugs into the leads for the battery tender ) and patch kit just in case but have never had to touch them. If you do carry a tube, you just need to carry a 21" front tube, as this will work in the rear tire in a pinch.

However I have found that even with a flat tire, if you go slow, a lot of times it won't even break the bead, so you can ride it out. Also, with tire levers, I have seen guys stuff leaves, grass, whatever in the tire to help keep it seated to ride out.

I think I am just stubborn and I simply refuse to change a tire in the wild.
Can you say more about this tire slime method to avoid flats? I was told that UHD tubes help prevent pinch flats, but never heard of your slime method. What are the drawbacks?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Some people go all nuts and carry everything.*

I started out that way but then I cut back back...I think I am just stubborn and I simply refuse to change a tire in the wild.
Agreed, and agreed!
I carry enough to fix foreseeable issues, but nothing more. Some of my best life experiences have come from the people I've met, and places I've been, as a result of catastrophic bike failure.

I have no interest in repairing a flat in the backcountry either. That's why I carry aerosol flat fix!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I go into the trails way under prepared in general, its very irresponsible and I should probably do something about it... then again I'm bringing my sf into the northern rocky trails so enough said.

Separately I have learned the hard way that you should not only carry a spare tire for your trailer, but also a spare rebuilt hub that is greased and ready to go... not so much for around town, but long distances. I threw a roller bearing out in bfe at 2am and paid out the **** for a service truck because the inner race welded itself to the spindle (yea thats right... I tried to drive it to civilization lol). So now I carry not only a spare tire but also a rebuilt hub because the extra hub cost me $400 and I feel obligated to carry the damn thing now.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Can you say more about this tire slime method to avoid flats? I was told that UHD tubes help prevent pinch flats, but never heard of your slime method. What are the drawbacks?
Heavy duty tubes help too.

They make tire slime for tires with inner tubes. You can add slime to the inside of the tube at anytime. Basically it will just coat the inside of the tube so if you get a puncture, it will seal itself. Or at least it will slow any punctures you may get. You can also just carry a can and if you do get a puncture, you can use it then too.

I can't think of any drawbacks, other than the fact you add about 8 oz. of slime to the front and back.

Most of the flats I see are from valve stems though.
From the factory, and most tire shops will take the nut on the valve stem and run it tight to the rim. Then you get a puncture, or run the PSI too low and end up ripping out the valve stem. Tire slime will not do you any good here. So, make sure the nut is pressed up against the valve stem cap, and never let your tires go below 15 psi. Especially without rim locks.

heavy duty tubes, tire slime, loose valve stem nut, and over 15 psi and I can almost guarantee the chance of flats go down by about 95%.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
I go into the trails way under prepared in general, its very irresponsible and I should probably do something about it... then again I'm bringing my sf into the northern rocky trails so enough said.

Separately I have learned the hard way that you should not only carry a spare tire for your trailer, but also a spare rebuilt hub that is greased and ready to go... not so much for around town, but long distances. I threw a roller bearing out in bfe at 2am and paid out the **** for a service truck because the inner race welded itself to the spindle (yea thats right... I tried to drive it to civilization lol). So now I carry not only a spare tire but also a rebuilt hub because the extra hub cost me $400 and I feel obligated to carry the damn thing now.
Damn that sucks,

It is hard to prepare for catastrophic events like that.

Just to add to that, I try to never ride after dark. It just seems like these things happen at the worst possible time.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I read the instructions on some of the slime-type products say not to use in tube tires. I have been riding and had a tire going flat just 10 miles from my van and trailer and starting to rain pretty hard. Used my air pump to get the tire back up twice but kept riding because I didn't want to fix it in the rain. Got it onto the trailer about the time it went completely flat. Would like to find a product that would work on tube tires for at least for 50 miles assuming I can find and remove the offending foreign object.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SageGrouse8139
I read the instructions on some of the slime-type products say not to use in tube tires. I have been riding and had a tire going flat just 10 miles from my van and trailer and starting to rain pretty hard. Used my air pump to get the tire back up twice but kept riding because I didn't want to fix it in the rain. Got it onto the trailer about the time it went completely flat. Would like to find a product that would work on tube tires for at least for 50 miles assuming I can find and remove the offending foreign object.
Slime makes a few variants...

Those for tubless (we had some farm duty stuff, which basically was slime with chunkys in it to plug big ol holes)

&

Those for tubes <--- Buy this one

Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a bit of an upfront investment but the Tubliss system is way cool. Plug a puncture, air up, and go.

If you're on a trip w/ a group, one can carry a front tube, one a rear.

As mentioned, what you carry depends on the remoteness of your riding and your ability to fix things. I know lotsa good guys that couldn't fix something if they had a Craftsman tool chest. My riding/trip time is valuable so if I can have a few things along that may prevent a ruined/lost day from something simple I will. It may be your buddy that breaks down but it will still change your day. Also feels good to give a stranger a fuse that gets him underway.

stock tools w/ a few things added/replaced
most of the stuff already mentioned
spare spark plug
a few useful sized nuts/bolts/washers
some safety wire
heavy baler twine or "550" cord (more compact than tow strap)
good fuse assortment
small electrical connector assortment
led "AA" mag light
pencil magnet tool
valve stem tool
small test light
a few feet of electric wire
cheap pocket knife or multitool
band-aids, butterflys, pack of advil, etc

Depending where you ride, a cheap folding camp saw can help for downed trees (in plastic bag ziptied somewhere).

Some also ziptie spare clutch/brake levers somewhere.

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 02-03-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you should practice repairing flats on your own bike also. Know how to remove a wheel from your bike. I even carry a small poly tarp to lay the wheel on. If you're not far from your base the fix it spray can fix is ok to get back but eventually you'll need a permanent repair.

Quick Reply: Trail Riding Essentials