Tour of Idaho

Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tour of Idaho

Just wondering if anybody has done the Tour of Idaho T1 on their KLX? If so, tell me about your fuel and accommodations situation. This is on my nearby bucket list, and is part of the reason for getting the klx, as the DR650 isn't the horse for this ride.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure the KLX is your unit for the T1. And the DR650 certainly isn't the tool.

Redpillar from here and ADV attempted T1 in 2013 on his KLX. He made it through D1 and bailed on the full tour to ride specific section day rides. Granted, he dehydrated on D1 and couldn't fluid up. In 2014, he nailed it on his new Beta 300. Look him up on ADV or on the TOI forum. He's a good guy and will ster you straight. I'd once considered attempting on the KLX, and its possible I still may, but he really made it clear this is a dirt bike ride. The KLX will go where dirt bikes will, but for a nine+ day excursion where you want to be absolutely as light and fast as possible, well, it just doesn't sound like maximizing the experience on a KLX. If you're still dead set on the KLX, I suggest have a frank discussion with Martin and/or some of the completion riders if you really want to do the whole T1, which is even longer this year with more single track and likely more gnarly. Now with all of that naysaying, go do the TOI on the KLX. I will root for you, buy you beers on the way through Boise, and may even see you on the trail!!! It would be a really cool accomplishment.

I plan on doing segments next year but don't have the nearly two-weeks straight off to do the whole thing.

On a side note, I'm curious about your unknown brand bigger tank. Got a pic?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-10-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a KTM250xcw that I could use, but lately I've been letting my son ride it and taking the KLX to see what it's made of. Being it's not a race, I figured the klx would be a little smoother and maybe even able to haul more gear and less fatiguing. Which brings me to another question, what did you guys do for accomodations? Did you have a support truck? That unkown tank came with the bike when I bought it. I've had it off several times and can't find any markings on it, but I would assume it's a IMS 3 gallon tank but could be a Clarke. Either way, I would probably need a rotopax 1.5 gallon tank to make the 250 mile stretch that the site warns about. I've done all the OBDR's and the WABDR with an entirely overloaded DR650 and know I could probably do without half the stuff, but was wanting to know how others did it without a support vehicle.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, then, has anybody done any of the Backcountry Discovery Routes on their KLX's? I see that Idaho's is just about up.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I've read of riders doing the BDRs on all kinds of bikes. Idaho's, from what I see on ADV, should be big-bike friendly for reasonably skilled riders. I'd do it on my KLR or KLX.

TOI isn't a race. But if you want to do it for what it's designed to be, it seems to be kind of a race. Have you looked at the T2 track? Very doable on a KLX. You should check out some of the TOI videos on youtube. Inspiring. Read rider reports where you can find them. I believe the longest distance between gas has dropped a little.

It seems most TOI riders try to stay in hotels to limit weight. The tour is designed for daily stops in town. Redpillar camped out at least a couple nights I believe.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

T3 is probably doable on the DR as it seems more adv friendly, along with T2. As far as the KLX on T1, I think it is very capable because most of the folks I've ridden with on the KLX as a dirt bike say something along the lines of I'm darn near as fast (or slow, depending on how you look at it)on the klx as I am on my KTM, and this is on some pretty gnarly terrain, like Shotgun and Lowpass, our local riding areas. My son just got out of the Army and has been dreaming of racing the Funky Chicken hare scramble, so I may sign the ol klx up in the 40ex class. Yeah, kinda worried about that. But hey, at least it has a horn since I'm not going to power pass anybody, I can at least throw off their concentration. Sorry, back on track here. I need to do my homework and find where all the hotels are, that would help immensely. If I could figure that out, then a backpack would be all the luggage I'd need. I've scoured motorcyclejazz.com about a hundred times but obviously not enough. The needed info is kinda scattered.

Last edited by 4vman1; 01-10-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow IDRIDIR, you are right. I stand corrected. I don't know how many hours I have spent the last couple of years looking over that site and somehow never seen the part where they break it down per day, landing you in a town every night. Talk about eyes wide shut. Perhaps because I just started to do the dual sport thing a few years now and my mind was set on the adventure style ride with camping. My buddy and I kept seeing "don't pack your bike" and I think that killed it for us. But, recently he picked up a wr250r which is a large reason for me getting the klx which is good for this kind of stuff. Trying to get a plate for a dirt bike here in Oregon is pretty much a no go anymore.

So tell me why you think the klx is not the appropriate steed for this. I can think of about 3 things: 1) not a lot of ground clearance. Seems every time I go to Gifford I break a toe on my KTM. 2) sand whoops. 3) a bit heavy. There are pics of folks doing this on loaded xr400's which give me a big shot of confidence. I'm short, so I sort of like the whole 7/8th size motorcycle thing though. My buddy is real reluctant to go. I figure 1 day drive to get there and 1 back, 9 days on the trail and a day of rest=12 days. With two weekends thrown in, that's only 8 days off work, 7 if over a holiday weekend. Very doable. The gears are spinning and I'm jonesin'.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Will you be doing the T1 Challenge? Glad you found the per-day page. I knew it was out there. Martin is changing the 2015 T1 so some towns will be different. My concern on the KLX comes primarily from the one rider who was unsuccessful on a KLX in 2013 and succeeded on a Beta in 2014. He and I messaged about it. The KLX should be capable, just not one of the better bikes to try it on. Your three points are valid. Again, based on another rider's opinion. I've not attempted the T1.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I've not attempted the T1.
That's great. What are you doing this summer? How far do you live from the start? Just kidding, but it looks to be a strong possibility that I may have to solo it. Starting to contemplate preparations, such as a Giant loop Mojavi bag is ordered.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I may ride a day or two of it this summer, but doing the whole tour isn't in the cards for 2015. I have a GL Coyote. Good equipment. I believe the rider I mentioned above used a Coyote. Do you have a start date set?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-13-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tour of Idaho