Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Torc T37 dual sport helmet

I'm shopping for a new DS helmet. The other day I saw this Torc T37 on Amazon:
Name:  TorcT37_zps4db029f5.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  34.7 KB
The paint job caught my eye initially. I've done some searching and can't find any information on the helmet at all tho. Does anyone here know anything about about it, good or bad? I just can't see buying it because of the cool paint. Until I saw the Torc, I was leaning towards the Gmax GM11D or the Fly Trekker. The Gmax seems to be well liked. I've tried the Fly on and liked it. But, man, that Torc sure is a good looking lid.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't know about them, but will say the Fly has historically been the same as the AFX and a lot of places carry them, making parts/shield availability good. Since you already know they fit well that is the most important part of buying a helmet. The trickest looking helmet is pretty much a shelf decoration if it is painful to wear.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

What ever you end up with, Just make sure it is Snell approved and not just DOT , Snell meets highest standards where DOT is the minimum.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:45 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yzf125
What ever you end up with, Just make sure it is Snell approved and not just DOT , Snell meets highest standards where DOT is the minimum.
Overrated. While the 70's and into the 80's revealed a more quantifiable difference of quality between Snell and DOT, that has slowly leveled since then. Plus, studies of actual post crash helmet inspections since those days have shown little if any real world difference in real crash scenarios involving motorcycles. The testing procedure for Snell is a little more stringent than DOT, but many, many DOT helmets meet the Snell requirements. They just don't seek or pay to certify the Snell rating. I'm not dissin' the Snell rating. It's just not the one-and-only gold standard that it used to be in comparison to DOT.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Aside from specs and reputation, it really comes down to fit. It can't hurt to buy it and try it out. Amazon will return anything.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM

What I appreciate about Snell is that they actually pull helmets from the shelf and test them, rather than just taking the manufacturer's word (as for DOT).

I trust Shoei - excellent fit and finish, not Made In China, and Shoeis have been good to m'boy's and my own head in crashes. I have a Hornet for dualsporting.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. My big concerns are quality and fit. I looked at the Bilt Adventurer, and while they look good and the one I tried on fit fine, many of the reviews aren't so great. Brieninsac, good point on the Amazon return policy. I may pull the trigger soon. If I do, I'll post my opinion of it.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Squier Nut
...I looked at the Bilt Adventurer, and while they look good and the one I tried on fit fine, many of the reviews aren't so great...
I tried the one without the internal sun lens. Not a fan. Way too much distortion through the face shield. Maybe they fixed it now, but I would try one on before buying one. The one with the sun lens seems to have better reviews, but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks!
Venting is great and easy to use.
The shield unlock/raise is a little unusual, but once you practise pushing the nubbin to the center and up and opens easily.
The sun visor also is easily adjustable and removable, so the helmet can be run with just the shield, or also remove it and run with goggles.
I blow it (inside and out) and the gear off with compressed air when done then just wipe it down with a wet rag after each use.