Top 5 Most Noticable KLX 250 mods.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

AH. now we're getting somewhere.

I makes perfect sense that a big bore kit hooked up to an decent economy exhaust would be money better spent than a $500.00 exhaust bolted to a 249cc jug.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout. Bang for the buck!!

Many of you have mentioned tires. My 2006 came with Dunlop D 603s. They seem like fine dirt tires and hold the pavement well in the twists. I think I'll wear them out before I put any new meat on. What are the best bang for the buck tires?

How do I get a Bill Blue 331 jugectomy ?? Do I send him my 249 and he reworx it while I sit rideless or do I buy the new setup then send him my old jug? Does he have an email or contact info?

I'm leaning toward the 331 rather than the 350 because that extra 19ccs looks a little cozy with the water jacket.

With a 331 does the jetting need to be changed or is that just for the 350?

And NOW for the BIG question:......does anybody going to the 350 have a 331 setup they want to part with? My 249 could be sent as the core.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Bill Blue's setup is a 340 kit; no one makes a 350 kit that I know of.
Jetting will need to be changed, even if you keep it at 249cc if you change the exhaust.
People usually send Bill Blue their cylinders; the 249 doesn't get bored larger as there isn't enough space to safely do the 249cc cylinder. That's why BB's big-bore kit uses a liner vs. the Kustom Kraft 331cc kit using a stock 300 cylinder bored to 331cc and plated internally identical to factory plating. You take your pick but with BB's kit, you don't have to buy a 300cc cylinder, hence the cheaper price.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
Bill Blue's setup is a 340 kit; no one makes a 350 kit that I know of.
You must have missed this, Bill is doing some R&D:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=25663

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

most noticable mod is the exhaust because it is so bloody loud!!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

hey, can i asked some question in here about sprocket thing

is that really noticeable to change your front sprocket to 13th? doesnt that mean decrease in top speed? and why 13th front? why not 45th or even 48th rear for taller gear? i've also read people with 13-45 combination, why not use just 48th rear? its still the same ratio....

thx b4

Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, some people here are cheap and want to keep using the crappy stock chain as long as they can. I just went up to a 47-tooth rear and bought a new 14T for the front, as well as a gold X-ring chain. And I don't wanna hear about price. The PrimaryDrive 47-tooth was a whopping 19.99.

IMHO, the jetting made a bigger difference than the sprockets. Yes the acceleration is better with the sprockets, but I can't tell a difference in raw power delivery. I haven't ridden any tight trails yet, but it is nice to use little or no clutch when crawling. Tires are probably number two, and then the sprockets.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I went with a 13t front because it was the cheapest, easiest, fastest way to get more low end. It made my KLX feel almost a gear lower. It will climb in thrird what I used to have to downshift for.

When I need a new chain I'll probably do the rear sprocket too.

Yes it decreases the top end so if you want more top end you can go the other way.

The rear sprocket can be upped to do the same thing or if you want monster torque and lawn tractor top end you can go down on the front AND up on the rear.

Changing the rear sprocket will also cost you a new longer chain.

With 14 teeth the benefit of 6th gear was small. With 13 teeth 6 th gear seems more usable.

IMHO the KLX 250, being as light as it is, wouldn't be my bike of choice if I wanted 90 MPH out of something. Add knobbies and even worse.

Set it up for how you ride. Street or dirt. Even with dual sports being the best of both worlds very few things can go both ways and be best at both.

Although there was this girl I knew once...............................

Last edited by horizonod; 01-06-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a "best of both worlds" deal but you have to know how to compromise. Yeah its fun to ride with stock gears and some worn-out stock tires / street tires, but then its useless on anything but a gravel road. OR you can gear it down, put on some real tires, and shred some trails. Just don't expect to comfortably ride up and down the street for fun.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

suspension, gearing, exhaust/jetting, cool rear fender set-up, rubber, imo...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well, some people here are cheap and want to keep using the crappy stock chain as long as they can. I just went up to a 47-tooth rear and bought a new 14T for the front, as well as a gold X-ring chain. And I don't wanna hear about price. The PrimaryDrive 47-tooth was a whopping 19.99.

IMHO, the jetting made a bigger difference than the sprockets. Yes the acceleration is better with the sprockets, but I can't tell a difference in raw power delivery. I haven't ridden any tight trails yet, but it is nice to use little or no clutch when crawling. Tires are probably number two, and then the sprockets.
I think right now i wanted to slowly learn about dirt bike, but if you called someone who spend only $50 for jersey and pant at rockymountain is cheap than cheap it is

rockymountain sells primary drive sprocket package, do they have for klx 09? i see that yours is 09 and i dont know about sprocket compability for klx09

I got the EFI version, can do nothing about them myself... resetting them maybe works if i install something engine related like exhaust, in standart condition? i dont know...

Originally Posted by horizonod
IMHO the KLX 250, being as light as it is, wouldn't be my bike of choice if I wanted 90 MPH out of something. Add knobbies and even worse.

Set it up for how you ride. Street or dirt. Even with dual sports being the best of both worlds very few things can go both ways and be best at both.

Although there was this girl I knew once...............................
yea agree with you, im not speed freak anyway just wanted the bike to be more responsive (acceleration = responsive maybe?)..

Last bu not least thank you for response my question .. newbie hehe...

Quick Reply: Top 5 Most Noticable KLX 250 mods.?