TM36-68 Running both Stock Cables

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default TM36-68 Running both Stock Throttle Cables

I didn't see to much info on this so I thought I would post. It's possible to run both stock throttle cables with the TM36-68 Mikuni. I did have some interference between the push cable/bracket and the fuel outlet on the stock tank. This was solved by cutting off the top portion of the bracket and drilling a new hole which gives the necessary clearance. I have a new needle jet coming next week and when I have it apart I'll take a few pictures. I'm curious if an aftermarket tank will interfere with my carb?

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 03-27-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 AM

Ruggybuggy,
I deleted the push cable and rely on the pull cable only as the spring on the TM 36 is strong enough to return the throttle to closed on its own. I ended up purchasing a longer cable from Motion Pro and routing the cable around the left hand side of the headstock on the bike. My IMS tank does not interfere with the carby but as I was jetting the carb ie removing the fuel tank to get at the carb I managed to pull the brass thread out of one of the mounting inserts( care needs to be taken).

Muzz

Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Muzz, I thought about only using the one cable but thought if I could use both it would be best for my own "peace of mind". So the IMS tank works without interference with the Mikuni carb? What year is your bike?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I run both cables with stock cables, no clearance issues. You don't need to run the push, but I was too lazy to remove it, and didn't want it dangling arouND.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
I run both cables with stock cables, no clearance issues. You don't need to run the push, but I was too lazy to remove it, and didn't want it dangling arouND.
I had an issue with the front fuel nipple on the tank contacting the push cable when the tank was in place. Your bike is a 2011 so there must be a little more room compared to the older bike. I see your running the IMS tank which would also make a difference.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 03-28-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
I had an issue with the front fuel nipple on the tank contacting the push cable when the tank was in place. Your bike is a 2011 so there must be a little more room compared to the older bike. I see your running the IMS tank which would also make a difference.

Possibly. ..but I was running the stock tank until a month ago...

Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 AM

Ruggybuggy,
2011 Australian version. I have got a lot of sound and wise information from the forum and done most of the mods as posted on the forum by past and current members. ( eg wider foot pegs, Tailectomy, raised the bars, Q4 and so on ) After fitting the pumper carb I am impressed by the increased performance. Being the Australian model and I am at sea level my jetting is slightly different to most of the quoted set ups on the forum. I have a 330 kit here to install but it is coming into riding season now so that will have to wait. When I say riding season we are just coming out of summer. Hot and dry with lots of soft deep sand, like trying to dig a hole in water, so a bit of rain to firm up the tracks and it is pure joy. One of my favorite tracks goes to a surf break so I am literally at sea level.
Cheers
Muzz

Old 03-29-2016, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys for the replies. I suspect the 2011 that you both have is slightly different. I'll post pics in a few days when I have my tank off to install my new needle. I'm running the 351 kit and I'll see how quickly it goes through the fuel in the stock tank. I'm anticipating a new tank but not sure what to buy for the 08 bike with the Mikuni installed.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 03-29-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by muzz
Ruggybuggy,
2011 Australian version. I have got a lot of sound and wise information from the forum and done most of the mods as posted on the forum by past and current members. ( eg wider foot pegs, Tailectomy, raised the bars, Q4 and so on ) After fitting the pumper carb I am impressed by the increased performance. Being the Australian model and I am at sea level my jetting is slightly different to most of the quoted set ups on the forum. I have a 330 kit here to install but it is coming into riding season now so that will have to wait. When I say riding season we are just coming out of summer. Hot and dry with lots of soft deep sand, like trying to dig a hole in water, so a bit of rain to firm up the tracks and it is pure joy. One of my favorite tracks goes to a surf break so I am literally at sea level.
Cheers
Muzz
Muzz - I'm on the east coast of Oz (central coast NSW) and I've been thinking of fitting a TM36 pumper to my KLX.
Did you have the TM36 on your bike when it was 250cc or only after the 330 kit was fitted? Mine is still 250cc at the moment but I plan to fit a big-bore kit one day.
In the meantime I'd like to fit a TM36 so I'd be interested in what jetting you run to give me an idea as to where to start with the jetting.
Cheers.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Pics as promised showing both cables being used.

You can see in the first photo how close the fuel line is to the cable stay. I removed the top part and located the cable down further on the stay. Look close and you can see a cable tie holding the fuel line out.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 04-03-2016 at 02:15 AM.