TM36 with 351 kit jetting request

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

that 22.5 pilot isn't too rich? Pretty big jet.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Probably works because I'm in a pretty much rainforest/jungle coastal area. Watch out for moss and slugs.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately there's no good local supply of jets, so that's what I ordered. I had to get all the parts I thought would work together at once. The local shops now sell power commanders, not jets.

It seems pretty much consensus that most people are getting good results with either the 15 or the 17.5 pilot. I got most of those numbers from Someone in PA at about my altitude.

There also seems to be some consensus around a couple of needles and needle jets, there's two basic combinations, and the one I chose is one.

Mains tend to cluster around 130.

I have read jetting threads until my head was swimming! That 22.5 pilot is way huge. Maybe you have a different air jet in your carb, I am not sure. To me, I am doubting that the 17.5 would work with my stock airbox, KDX snorkel and stock filter. I am also running a comparatively restrictive Q4 exhaust.

Anyhow, from what I have read I think there's a fighting chance for me to get it close on day 1.

Another week of freezing weather here anyhow.

Thanks everyone. Please also, continue to post your numbers here.

I've rejetted a lot of carbs before, but never put a new carb in a bike. So, kind of an adventure. I had hoped to get a thread together that would have a lot of representative numbers for those going to big bore and TM36-68. Those are a lot of parameters to change at once.

Last edited by taxonomy; 03-25-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you'l be good. I'm happy for you. You'll love the snap. Get used to it. Riding yesterday I just kind of gave it some fuel to zoom up a bit in traffic....front end starts lifting up .

Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm kind of surprised we're getting so many notably different jetting recommendations. When the TM36 ball really got rolling with Mustang and Dan Moore on their 340 kitted KLX's, they came down to almost identical jetting combinations in their quest. I went with their numbers and ultimately only had to change the air pilot jet one step...and I'm fairly particular. I gotta admit I'm a little surprised at these P8 needle jet setups. Now, it's sometime kind of surprising how you can get an engine to run on non-optimal jetting in a functional way, but it doesn't make it optimal.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I followed that quest too. Dan Moore was way up in the hills. Do you recall both of their elevations ?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
I followed that quest too. Dan Moore was way up in the hills. Do you recall both of their elevations ?
Dan was from Fort Collins which is about 5000 feet. I haven't noticed needing to change jetting until about 7000 feet...and then only 1 step leaner on the main and 1 notch leaner on the needle. Mustang's in Kersey, PA at under 1400 feet. Not unusual for both to run the same or at least very close settings.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

It tis a bit strange. I would happily run the p4 needle jet (gas milage) but just downsizing to the p6 made initial throttle lean out on me. Even with the needle bumped a step and the pilot turned out some its still got a fuzzy spot. Granted I'm at 85feet and its been under 50f this whole time.

When I think about it, the bike ran damned well the once I had it set up like this a d left the choke on, just stalled out once I finally found a stop sign.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I am very curious to see how this pans out. It is really interesting to see the spread of numbers here. There's an awful lot of 50 needle and P4 jet though. I think for me it could work out with my more restrictive intake that the leaner 15 pilot and 130 main could work, then again the lower altitude...

I got a very detailed email from a forum member here while this thread was up about how they've set up four bikes with 351 kits and the jetting process they went through. He seemed very reasonable and methodical. His bike is set up very close to mine.

I'll be using the jetting method laid out in Kevin Cameron's Sportbike Performance Projects. I'll write it up when I get the time to go though it all.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wreckster
It tis a bit strange. I would happily run the p4 needle jet (gas milage) but just downsizing to the p6 made initial throttle lean out on me. Even with the needle bumped a step and the pilot turned out some its still got a fuzzy spot. Granted I'm at 85feet and its been under 50f this whole time.

When I think about it, the bike ran damned well the once I had it set up like this a d left the choke on, just stalled out once I finally found a stop sign.
But did you ever actually have the same jetting as I'm running?

Quick Reply: TM36 with 351 kit jetting request