time for the KLX to go

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

That's a very nice KLX351. It's a shame your giving up on it but I understand why. I almost went that route, trying to decide between the WR450 and my KLX. The determining factor for me was the seat height. Did you contact MTO on registering? When I looked into it they said "it should be OK if it has a 17 digit Vin and has insurance". The "should be OK" worried me though and because the previous Manitoba registration was titled off road I was somewhat concerned.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

the seat height was also my deciding factor on the KLX, but have since gotten used to riding my friends bike, and with proper sag adjustment, once I get my leg over, it settles down to where i'm actually comfortable with enough footing....... but hard to let it go as its a great looker, and the acceleration with amazing with the mods. as far as street legal WR 450, yes there are plenty of them around, and it's not impossible to have a green plated one converted, but, I've found that the last 2 yrs I haven't gone for street rides on mine, I spend most of the weekends trail riding, so I'm no longer worried about blue plating the bike.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gone

the KLX is sold, I'm happy glad I sold it to someone I know as I hate to see this bike go after all the work and care I put into it, but got my WR 450f and let me tell you..... WOW!! loving it!!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

R.i.p.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rosed
the KLX is sold, I'm happy glad I sold it to someone I know as I hate to see this bike go after all the work and care I put into it, but got my WR 450f and let me tell you..... WOW!! loving it!!
I've toyed with the 450 thinking also... I've heard from a few people the 450 is too much power in single track, your thoughts? Also, specs show a 38" seat height... that's towering for me, how tall are you and can you plant both feet?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I've ridden open class MX and XC bikes on "single track" for 35 years. At the same time, I've also ridden my "lesser" bikes and my kids' racing bikes on single track for decades.

There is no such thing as "too much power" - However, there is absolutely an "enjoyment" factor that differs between riding a 60+ HP, 235 lb racing machine vs a 20-25 hp racing/enduro machine on tight, twisty, single tracks.

Unless someone wants a detailed description of this difference, I'll simply say that riding the big HP bike (in the "twisties") is work - throttle control, speed control, clutch control, traction control, etc etc , requires constant, intense, concentration. And this is regardless of the aggressiveness of your riding - A great deal of this concentration is still needed even if riding "leisurely".. ( I can't count the number of times I've been on the FE650E, "putt putt" riding with my kids, not paying attention, and nearly gone over the bars when I stupidly stall the engine.)

Lesser HP machines, on this same "hypothetical", tight, twisty, single track, do not require this intense level of attention - so more enjoyment for those that don't crave the intensity (as I do).. It's more like mindless "play" .. Akin to the old adage - It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow..

I have wondered for years if the Rekluse clutch makes biggy power bikes just as much "goofy" fun as a lesser bike..

Last edited by Klxster; 09-28-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
I've toyed with the 450 thinking also... I've heard from a few people the 450 is too much power in single track, your thoughts? Also, specs show a 38" seat height... that's towering for me, how tall are you and can you plant both feet?
seat height, not as big an issue as I though once I set the sag, both feet a bit more than tippy toe, but quite comfortable, i'm only 5'4!!....but my 220lbs bring the seat down a few inches!!
as KLXER said...... no such thing as too much power, I was intimidated by it for the first 5-10 minutes knowing the wheel comes up 1,2,3, and 4th if you really want to, after that it was just a big smile on my face and amazing how much easier this bike is to ride on the trails when you're really shreddin!! its also lighter than the KLX!..... I haven't felt any issues on single track!