Tiger 800XC Windshield on KLX250s. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tiger 800XC Windshield on KLX250s. (Pics)

The stock windshield just about snaps onto the front of the klx250's number plate. It contours well and the wings offer further buffeting protection. The shield can be mounted with two simple L brackets off of the triple tree clamps. A little 3M Dual Lock on the numberplate will stifle any rattling. The windshield takes the pressure completely off of my chest and if i go into a half tuck it eliminates all buffeting. And since it follows the lines so well, it looks pretty good. (About as good as a windshield can look on a small dual sport.) This shield paired with a KLX bag and a seat pad make for a decent ADV bike. (at least what i can afford so far.) Anyways enough babble, you're here for pictures.

Even at 91 mph, the shield stayed put with just a little wiggle.
Now, there will be those who question the durability of such a mod, and rightly so, especially off road. There were those who did the same for my soft bag rack i installed over 1500 miles ago. For those people i'll leave this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6A...ature=youtu.be

Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Very cool. How much did it cost you? And what is your additional light setup? Looks pretty good. One more question..what is the white thing on your handlebar clamp on the left side?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Very cool. How much did it cost you? And what is your additional light setup? Looks pretty good. One more question..what is the white thing on your handlebar clamp on the left side?
For me it cost 4 bucks for the piece of steel to make the mounts from, a buddy of mine already had the windshield. They can be had on ebay for around the $50-$60 range. My lights are the Walmart $25 special found in the automotive department.

The white thing on the clamp is an aluminum plate with 3m dual lock so i can mount and plug in my phone for charging/gps.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not going to lie, I dig it. Does some of the wind screens support come from resting on the front number plate?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I'm not going to lie, I dig it. Does some of the wind screens support come from resting on the front number plate?
It does provide a bit of support, but most of the load is on the brackets. When completely wrung out the number plate shows just the slightest wiggle. I am thinking of designing a "glovebox" of sorts to go between the speedo and the number plate but i am still thinking about how it would work. I use that 3m dual lock so you can tweak the shield slightly if the mounts are off a little bit. If you haven't seen it before, you have to check it out, I have used it to mount my phone to my bike, and even a camera to my helmet. I'll try to get some footage of the shield at high speed so you can see what it looks like. So far it has really helped me in my 80 mile daily commute.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like it belongs there.

How do the lights work for night? Pin spot, fog lamp, what kind of light spread?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Looks like it belongs there.

How do the lights work for night? Pin spot, fog lamp, what kind of light spread?
I got them mostly for visibility's sake. (fat load of good it does, had 2 cars pull out in front of me since i installed them.) They do ok as for lighting up the roadway, not nearly hitting anything in the Hella or PIAA range though. They are mostly wash and only do good on the trail.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chay
I got them mostly for visibility's sake. (fat load of good it does, had 2 cars pull out in front of me since i installed them.) They do ok as for lighting up the roadway, not nearly hitting anything in the Hella or PIAA range though. They are mostly wash and only do good on the trail.
At least you realize "more visibility" may not do jack. Nothing wrong with trying to increase visibility, just that you cannot let it build your confidence that you are actually more visible - two drivers just proved you weren't to them!

I realize for $25 you don't get Hellaa or PIAA. We should be so lucky.

I did a set of low buck spots on a Gold Wing standard (no bags fairing) I had years back. The Wing headlight reflector had a dark area in the center at longer distance on high beam. The lights I got were pin spots, so I pointed them out into that spot. With the lights and high beam you could see way further ahead than the GL could go - you couldn't ride beyond the lights until you hit significantly higher than a "go to jail" speed.

I'm thinking on the KLX more of a fog or broadly spread light might be good. Something should I be on a trail or back road where good side to side visibility would be good. Is that what you're saying those are like?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
At least you realize "more visibility" may not do jack. Nothing wrong with trying to increase visibility, just that you cannot let it build your confidence that you are actually more visible - two drivers just proved you weren't to them!

I realize for $25 you don't get Hellaa or PIAA. We should be so lucky.

I did a set of low buck spots on a Gold Wing standard (no bags fairing) I had years back. The Wing headlight reflector had a dark area in the center at longer distance on high beam. The lights I got were pin spots, so I pointed them out into that spot. With the lights and high beam you could see way further ahead than the GL could go - you couldn't ride beyond the lights until you hit significantly higher than a "go to jail" speed.

I'm thinking on the KLX more of a fog or broadly spread light might be good. Something should I be on a trail or back road where good side to side visibility would be good. Is that what you're saying those are like?
They do well on the trail depending on how you aim them. They definitely reveal the side of the trail well.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

chay

have you got a closer pic of the front mount. you said you used the 3m dual lock but I can't see it in any of the pics. i got hold of a cheap tiger screen & have made the 2 angle brackets but just need an idea for the front mount.

cheers

griffo

Quick Reply: Tiger 800XC Windshield on KLX250s. (Pics)