Ticking on engine startup, goes away when warm but audible @ 4000-6000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ticking on engine startup, goes away when warm but audible @ 4000-6000rpm

Im getting a tick on startup, goes away after a minute or two. Similar ticking occurs between 4000-6000 rpm, kinda like before I had the Krieger cam chain tensioner, but not as loud

I've tried fine-tuning the adjuster, and there is no tick at idle once it's warm, just after the first start of the day.

Bike just hit 10,000km- noise started in the last 500km

Loose cam chain? Valves?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

loose cam chain would be noisey all the time?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a technical issue...And no one has an opinion on the matter? I wish I could post something that gets replies like a ride report or a question about vapor displays but until then it would be nice to get some friendly advice before I have a catastrophic failure

71 views, zero replies, a wealth of information indeed :/

P.s. I'm trying my best to be unofficially enthusiastic over here...

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry but my klx hasn't made those sounds yet. No krieger chingas either.

I change the oil & filter on the same schedule as the husky... More often then probably needed

Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Why don't you check valves and cam chain...count the cam chain pins to make sure it is on correctly...

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-13-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Its interesting that it goes away when it warms up??? Ive noticed some noise which i believe is the cam chain. while riding about a week ago I noticed the rattling noise getting louder...I was about to pull over to check the oil level...when I herd and felt a dull bang through the left side peg. The rattling noise was insantly gone!!

After reading many post about the auto cam chain tensioner, I believe this is my problem. I see you have the manual one maybe some more fiddling will fix it. I agree with ahnh check the cam chain and valve adjustment. Good luck!!

Last edited by mikezx10; 03-13-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

IIRC, Krieger has said that when properly adjusted, or maybe a little on the lose end, it's normal to hear a little cam chain when cold but should go away as it warms and things expand.

Mike - I think OP has Krieger manual tensioner so can't be auto one.

ahnh - Agree. Check valves, and not only check to see that the cam chain is on correctly and everything timed right, but also check the cam chain for elongation. I think TNC had a problem where is auto tensioner wasn't working properly for long enough that the cam chain stretched and caused problems. There's a spec in the shop manual for chain length.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

You can also either reset the tensioner cold to make sure it isn't some play in the cam drive. If you don't have instructions hit my website, they're there, or call me Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners

But before anything else, listen carefully when you start the bike up. Where exactly is the sound coming from. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope or even a long handle screwdriver putting the tip around on the tensioner, then the cam cover in various places to find where the noise is loudest. I have two valves .001" out of spec on my Zephyr and with a mechanic's stethoscope I can locate them easily with this method.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Krieger you are a paragon

When you say reset the tension cold do you mean as done initially when installing the manual tensioner? Or make the fine adjustment (finger tighten) when bike is cold..

Thanks

Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by doum
Good one! Haven't seen that one before.

Quick Reply: Ticking on engine startup, goes away when warm but audible @ 4000-6000rpm