There's Gremlins in my bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default There's Gremlins in my bike

Electrical gremlins, that is. I'm having quite a problem here and could use some educated advice. My bike was running fine yesterday before I washed it. My main goal in washing it was to get some of the crud out from behind the shifter, as I had it off anyway. To make a long story short, I ended up using a tooth brush and soap and water to clean that little panel that the shifter goes into. There was an electrical connection down there and I cleaned around that guy. And in a tribute to Deej, I also cleaned on top of the transmission (I guess... back and south of the starter) with the tooth brush as well. Put everything back together and thought that I should leave it be overnight to dry out any additional water anywhere.
So, fast forward to this morning. I go out to start it up to get to school for my 8:00 lab today and I got nothing. No dash, no lights, no sounds. I thought it must be a fuse, so I took my pickup to school. I've checked the fuses I can find and they all look good (I just thought to check resistance in them and I'll do that). I swapped the extra 10 amp fuse that comes with the bike and it didn't change anything. The 20 amp on the positive right off the battery looked good as well.
On my multimeter, I'm getting readings of around 5-6 volts when the key is turned off. But as soon as I turn it to the on position, my voltage plummets to .3 or so. Is this a bad battery? It doesn't seem like it because it hasn't been showing any signs of dying. Or is it something that I got water into and something shorted?
I'm really confused and any help would be appreciated. I just don't get where all that voltage is going to...

Mike

Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Could you have left the key on for a while and drained the battery? The battery should be reading something closer to 12.8V or so with the key off. Charge it, with the proper low-amp charger, and try again. Also, you could try jump starting from your truck, but make sure the truck is not running. You don't want the truck's charging system messing up your bike's system.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks IDridr. I don't believe I left the key on, I thought the key was inside. But, that's more than worth a try. I wasn't sure if it ran a 6 volt or 12 volt system. I'll hook it up to the truck and see if I get lights. I hope this is the problem.

Mike

Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Fixed. It started right up and I let it idle for about 15 minutes or so. I think the battery may be going because after a couple of start then kill then repeat cycles, it was starting to crank a little slow. I'll have to see how it goes. And I'll have to remember to try the easiest things first. Thank you again IDRIDR.

Mike

Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

You're welcome. I sometimes get caught looking at the complex before the simple.
Get that battery fully charged with an appropriate charger. I think you want 2A or less. I use a battery tender designed for these small motorcycle batteries. I use this one and installed a pigtail on the battery so I can easily charge without pulling the panel.

A 2012 battery shouldn't be going bad already unless its been abused.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you still have Gremlins - they sometimes go to sleep , without warning, for weeks at a time.... Take the bike to a good Psychic for a reading.

There's Gremlins in my bike-psychic-300x248.jpg

Last edited by Klxster; 09-04-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Got it charged up and it seems to be all good. Klxster, I looked in the phone book and couldn't find one... know of any in NE? Lol.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Your ready to start modding it now? Get a DG-R, DJ kit, do the MCM, yank off the airbox lid, and enjoy 20 hp !