Swingarm bearing holes damaged - replace swingarm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Swingarm bearing holes damaged - replace swingarm?

Got a KLX250, took the rear suspension off for inspection/clean/grease job, the swingarm bearings looked new and greased up, but the sleeves were pitted (no rust, though). I guess the mechanic working on that bike before replaced the rusty bearings once, but chose to sandpaper and reuse the sleeves. One bearing had play and another one felt tight, even the sleeve didn't want to get out of the bearing, had to lightly hammer it out. When pressing out the bearings using socket&hammer method, one of them just fell out after one hit with the hammer - fell out too easily, I mean.
On that side there's significant damage to the outermost part of the swingarm surface, where the sealing cap sits. Pictures included.
If I try to just replace the bearings and seals, I'm worried the seals will let some dirt in because there will be some gap due to that damage. So, does this kind of damage warrant swingarm replacement, or are there other solutions (e.g. epoxy)? I prefer to do a proper job. A new swingarm is $130 here in Thailand, + all the bearings.
Thanks!
Name:  8s0hgOC.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  174.4 KB
Name:  kJ9w8xi.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  142.7 KB
Name:  516lhh4.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  232.1 KB
Name:  Zb62vUC.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  195.6 KB
Name:  yH6UOms.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  174.3 KB

Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, in addition to it looking like someone ran the bike until the bearings were absolute toast, it looks like a monkey wrench job of installation and removal at some point. Still, the swingarm is probably usable. On possible slop in the bearing/swingarm interface, try some bearing retaining compound. Loctite makes a good one. You could epoxy them back in, and in all honesty, you don't have to press them out each time you need to clean and repack the needles...as long you can thoroughly wash out the grime and grease. It's worth a try and only involves a little time investment...in addition to the bearing retaining compound, of course.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene Pavlovsky
A new swingarm is $130 here in Thailand, + all the bearings.
If you can spend just $130 for new I would jump all over that deal.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree on the new arm for that low a price. One option if you had a machinist that could do it, would be to turn it to a press fit and put a steel shim inside with the ID to fit the bearing. But I'd think it would almost cost as much as the new swing arm.

Of course TNC's suggestion makes sense to because it can't cost that much to try and if it fails you just get the swing arm.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an extra 250 D Tracker swing arm here in the Philippines with about 5000km on it. but it'd cost almost as much to ship it to you as a new one at the price you can get it at.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Is that swingarm aluminum? If so, the damaged area of the hole could be welded and then re-honed. But at what cost, I dunno. I have to agree on the $130 swingarm. That sounds like quite a deal.

Rob

Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The swingarm is aluminum, and welding/re-honing or having a steel shim fitted at the machine shop would be the "proper job" solutions, unfortunately I live in Thailand countryside and don't have a reliable machine shop I would trust this thing to. With the average quality of Thai mechanic shops (they are cheap but not that careful) I wouldn't trust just some shop I find by chance on the street.
I was thinking about trying to get that retaining compound, and using silicone on the seal, on the other hand I have to get new bearings first, and then if I fail, there will be another trip to the Kawasaki dealer to order a new swingarm, and another 1-week wait to get the part (or a 250km trip to the main dealer in Bangkok who stocks the parts).
So the price seems good to you guys, I also thought that's pretty cheap for a nicely welded aluminum swingarm. Given that my old swingarm also has some damage (previous owner was using it with a worn-out sidestand that would hit the arm in the up position, and over time made about 3mm deep groove) maybe I should just replace it.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like time for a road trip to get a new one and be done with it. You know it will be properly maintained and greased from the get go.
No wondering if it's going to fail out in the jungle.
Install, grease, and go! Good as new, because it is.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

My thinking exactly, Maximus. Thanks.