suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default suspension questions

2010 klx250s..im 230lbs. ride mostly on road, however like hitting the dirt trails. minimal jumping, but like the possibility to do so..my questions are...

front suspension..go up in fork weight only vs heavier springs?
rear suspension..$300 completely redone by hy-gear for my size?

front suspension is more what im curious about

Old 03-15-2015, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Start with heavier springs front and rear for your weight.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-15-2015, 07:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sub, on the front suspension, were you referring to going to heavier oil in your "fork weight" comment? If so, do not go there. As Brewster is suggesting, springs are the way to address your issue on both ends. Heavier oil in the KLX fork only tends to aggravate compression spiking IMO.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I would suggest that you measure sag settings as it sits now. That will tell you if you need to adjust spring rates front or rear. I still use the oe springs in the forks on my bike and I'm 200# but I did need to go to the 6.0 spring out back. Replacing the base valves in the forks and making sure that preload is correct made the biggest difference out front for me. I just finished rebuilding the rear shock and added a Goldvalve with the new spring. The weather hasn't been cooperating so I cant give you a full report.
Measure where you're at and make a decision. kb1

Old 03-16-2015, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

fork seals are in need of replacing so i figured that was perfect time to address the overly soft suspension....sounds as if just going up to heavier oil isnt suggested,rather stiffer springs and oem oil weight...money is an issue so am i not going to get much difference just doing $119 moto pro springs and new fork seals?

Old 03-16-2015, 01:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

No, you should get a noticeable return in performance at your weight with a more appropriate set of fork springs. At 230 pounds there's little doubt that you need heavier fork springs and probably even a rear shock spring. It's the exact spring weight rate that you'll need to discuss with John at Moto Pro. A call won't cost anything. See what he recommends.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Heavier front springs will make a huge difference.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Default Rear Suspension excessive thread wear

Gentlemen,

This week I had some free time and I decided to set the sag of my KLX 250 s (TEF) 2014, then I dismounted the rear shock absorber to turn the collars down a little bit because the spring was not pre-loaded very well. However I got surprised as soon as I started trying to turn the lower collar down with the wrench because it was completely locked (even turning up), then I putted the shock on the bench vise and tryed again, after a couple turns I realized the thread was damaged and small metal pieces came out (see some pics).

I am not sure if it is a defective collar. Any of you have had this problem before? any recommendation?

Thanks a lot.

Attached Thumbnails suspension questions-img_20150404_200106.jpg  

Last edited by Kratos; 04-05-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

From your description and pic, I'd suspect you turned the collars while they were locked together instead of breaking them loose from each other. I'm thinking you can probably still get to good threads as you turn down past the damaged area to get proper sag. If you need to be where those threads are damaged, you might have a problem. Are those two rings still locked together in that pic? I might also add that the damage to shock threads isn't always as bad as it looks.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 AM

Thank you TNC for your prompt answer,

Actually it is even more weird because the upper and lower collars where separate when I dismounted the shock and the upper collar turned very easy. I suspect it was the reason of damage because maybe the upper collar was not working together with the lower one.

My concern is if the lower collar is now defective and could damage the thread again, for that reason I would like to know if somebody has had the same problem and if it is recommendable to cut out the lower collar and replace it by a new one.

All thoughts are very welcome to figure out what happened to my shock.

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: suspension questions