suspension adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default suspension adjustments

hey guys i got about 50 miles on my new 14. i really like it but i find the suspension to be kinda hard. i see theres 2 brass screws i can adjust. i didnt mess around with them alot as i was kinda pressed for time. could anyone explain to me how the adjustments work and what turning either or both screws will do? id like to soften it up if i could. thank you!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

What kind of riding? What's your weight? Do you know where the adjusters are set now? Those adjusters on the bottom of the fork are compression adjusters. There is no external adjuster on the fork for the rebound. On the shock there is both compression and rebound adjustment...compression up at the piggyback reservoir and rebound down at the linkage end of the shock body. Here's a tutorial on how they generally work along with an overall knowledge about how the suspension works. You have to have proper springs to suit your weight and riding first as well as proper rear shock preload on the spring.

Bruce's Suspension Setup

Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Like TNC has suggested, understanding the basics of how suspension works and how making adjustments to spring preload, ride height and damping effect how the bike handles is a good place to start. I have found the stock springs on my '12 work for me at 200# but I couldn't adjust out the harshness of the front forks over sharp edged bumps. After adding new compression pistons/shims on the front end I am satisfied with the suspension for the type of terrain I encounter.
There are no magic 'settings' for the suspension that will work for every rider-that's why they are adjustable.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 04-09-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

And skelator, I don't think the compression valving in the '09 and later model forks changed to any great degree from the '06/'07 models. The compression pistons just don't flow enough oil on their own for any amount of shim changing to do much good, so a complete revalve is almost required if you really want the fork to perform at a decent level. Some use the Gold Valve kit from Race Tech and some use the kit from Moto Pro. If you're just going to do easy 2-track, dirt roads, and pavement, you can probably get by with just the proper fork spring rate and the right oil. If you're going to ride any trails to any reasonable degree, you will probably be disappointed with the stock valving.

The rear shock works quite well, and just setting the proper sag and making sure the spring fits your weight should suffice.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replays. I weigh 162 and I'm gonna do easier trails and railroad beds for now along with pavement till I get good. This is my first bike I wanna learn without killing myself lol.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

You will learn faster and go faster if you get your front forks modded right away. It could save $$ & pain in the long run.
Then update the tires when they wear out to something more suited to the dirt you ride in.
Put a 13 front sprocket on if you have steep hill sections.
Then a pumper carb to boost the pickup.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

i didnt get a owners manual with my 09, but did get a FSM
if your OM dont have info on default settings, here it is (at least for 09)

FRONT- compression adjuster on bottom of each leg, set them the SAME
range = 20 clicks. turn adj CW to stop. (bottom it out EASY, not too tight)
default setting is 12 clicks out CCW
CW bottomed is firmest, CCW out is softer with each click out

REAR- has 2 adjusters. top is compression, bottom is rebound
each has a range of 20 clicks of adjustment
again- turn each adjuster CW to bottom it out easily, not TOO tight

compression- default is 16 clicks out CCW
CW bottomed is the firmest, each click out CCW = softer

rebound- default is 12 clicks out CCW
CW bottomed is the firmest, each click out CCW = softer

ask your buddies how much rear suspension they like,
and have your video already rolling for when they say...
" i like to have 10 inches in the rear"
its a joke that never gets old

all modern bikes are designed to fit a range of rider weight
i see that you weigh more that an asian/euro teenager...
so i think its pretty unlikely that your bike is OVER-sprung
the only bikes designed around our fat USA asses are HDs

Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

awesome, great info! i wont be able to rife for a few days but i softened the front quite a bit from where it was. is there any rule of thumb to setting the shocks up or is it just totally rider preference?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Read Bruce's suspension set-up page. I'd never read it and learned a few things.
The good news is at 160lbs, they made the suspension for you.
Just remember to change each fork leg the same amount. I always seat the screws and then count back out, just to be sure they are the same. Put a piece of duct tape somewhere out of sight with your settings on it. Then ride and adjust, then write the new settings down.
After reading that suspension set-up page, I realize I need new front springs (and maybe some Gold Valves) to get it working properly for me at 130lbs.