Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I got pics of the plug and ground wire that they cut and directly grounded. Also received a check from kawi today for the hours labor for the first of three visits to the dealer. Hope these pics help.

Attached Thumbnails Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed-newground1.jpg   Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed-newground2.jpg   Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed-newground3.jpg   Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed-newground4.jpg  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I just grounded my rec/reg. First I took a voltage drop measurement. Never saw more than .5 volt which is quite a bit. Going to change a tire on a truck, riding the bike to the job site. 20 miles each way. I'll report when I get back.

I removed the black/y wire out of the plug using the proper tool and soldered a wire to the brass connector instead of cutting the wire. This way, its grounded at the rec/reg AND were it comes from.

David

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Appears to be fixed. Time will tell.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope the fix is this simple and easy, I'll give it a try this weekend.

David R. so you just remove the black and yellow wire from the housing and added an jumper wire? Did you just run it over the the bolt like shown in the photos?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the plug.

BLACK WIRE WITH YELLOW TRACER

I made my ground "T" in with the ground already there. Its a ground in parallel. Crimp on terminal on the other end of the wire and bolted to the engine using the existing bolt going to the same spot as another ground already on the motor just in front of the reg/rec.

I want this clear. I soldered a wire to the back part of the terminal you see in the picture and inserted the terminal back into the plug. Plugged it back in. Motorcycle wiring was not changed, cut or removed only extra ground added.
This is what I was getting occasionally

This is more like what it should be

I ran the bike for a few minutes after doing the repair and saw only normal spark traces. I am going to check the grounds to the CD box and coil.

40 miles, and I THINK its fixed. This inculded an attempt to do 80 on an expressway. Pavement is grooved and enough traffic that the bike was not too stable so I backed off to 70-75 mph. It seems to run great.

David

Last edited by David R; 08-18-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I wish the dealer would have done that to mine..... but I am glad to hear it seemed to fix your issue as well! So far so good on mine still, 300 miles with no surge or miss!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Default Waiting to try it

Outstanding! I am very excited to try this. I may print out this thread and take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it for free as they did for one of the above members. Seems fair after being charged $90 to told the bike is functioning perfectly.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member

that is a simple fix for sure Thanks for the pics David might be able to get it done tonight if I can find the damn solder gun......lol

Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

David,

Are you not afraid of creating a "ground loop" by doing it this way? Only reason I ask is I have worked with telecommunications equipment my entire career and you have to be extremely careful with grounding. There is such a thing as over grounding something.

Originally Posted by David R
This is the plug.

BLACK WIRE WITH YELLOW TRACER

I made my ground "T" in with the ground already there. Its a ground in parallel. Crimp on terminal on the other end of the wire and bolted to the engine using the existing bolt going to the same spot as another ground already on the motor just in front of the reg/rec.

I want this clear. I soldered a wire to the back part of the terminal you see in the picture and inserted the terminal back into the plug. Plugged it back in. Motorcycle wiring was not changed, cut or removed only extra ground added.
This is what I was getting occasionally

I ran the bike for a few minutes after doing the repair and saw only normal spark traces. I am going to check the grounds to the CD box and coil.

40 miles, and I THINK its fixed. This inculded an attempt to do 80 on an expressway. Pavement is grooved and enough traffic that the bike was not too stable so I backed off to 70-75 mph. It seems to run great.

David

Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I was having a surge at the higher rpm's also. I was on here and other sites lookin for jetting answers. I did the 128 main. Well I went back lookin for answers since I was still havin the probs. Well I realized that MOST of the people that have the klx250's were runnin dynojet kits and I just assumed they were just normal keihin jet numbers. Their numbers are different of course than dynojets. So I found a chart that lists dynojet, keihin and mikuni jet sizes. A 128 dyno is a 137.5 keihin. I put in the 137.5 and seems to fix the prob. I will have to check into this grounding mod to the reg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed