Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi all ! Yes , I looked at all the pics and re-read the thread again . I just don't see that connector . Is it tucked in by the airbox ? Does this mod pertain to 2006 - 2007 KLX'S ? thx again guys .....brad

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bradluke0
Hi all ! Yes , I looked at all the pics and re-read the thread again . I just don't see that connector . Is it tucked in by the airbox ? Does this mod pertain to 2006 - 2007 KLX'S ? thx again guys .....brad
please see my post above yours. the 06-07 may have a different rectifier as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi all ! Yup , I think you are correct as the wires are different at the rectifier . A quick search shows different part numbers for the 2007 and 2010 KLX rectifiers. Finished putting the fork guards on , new front brake pads and new tires today . My new favorite tires are the Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM tires . They are DOT approved and they are wonderful offroad and just pretty good on the street . We ride 20/80 mostly off road . For more street use we like the Michelin T63's . Thx again guys.......brad

Last edited by bradluke0; 06-20-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 AM

I bought my klx in 09 new off the floor. First couple seasons didn't ride much. I knew of this thread and always chalked it up to jetting. I do have the DynoJet kit, with FMF power bomb and Q4. I remember CONSTANTLY thinking I had a lean condition" 9 to 10 range always". I put the biggest jet in, 132 I think?? Anyways....pulled the plug and it was bone white, talk about frustration??!! Finally up here in Minnesota a few weeks ago I did the infamous ground wire mod. NATURALLY I was wasted and grounded the the part that went back to the battery side of things. After my battery was completely"LIMP" I strategically placed a call to my dad saying come pick me up I messed up on this ground wire mod as I rolled onto a side street and pretended to analyze the problem Anyways, now the SURGE comes on at 4 to 5, not as intense but it SUCKS!!! At least now I can look at my plug and see the TRUE COLORS that shine through.....a bit on the lean side but, something tells me once I turn it up to 2&3/4 or so, I really doubt that SURGE will go away. I have to admit it RAN THE BEST when the reg wasn't grounded at all!!!!!!!! Pulled like a beast, through every gear, all RPM's, without a doubt holy crap this thing finally runs right. Hmmmmmmmm, gettin really sick of this bike in a way

Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 AM

I actually had a work injury....C6 and C7 fusion.....and this was the cheapest girl on the lot!!!! The more I read and come to know....this bike would've been my last choice!!!!! Damn the dealership!!! Aaaaaah hey fella you wouldn't like the WR at all! And those KTM's....well their kinda junk. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Hi,
I just came across this forum and I signed up. There's really good information here.

About a month ago I got an 09' KLX and I really like the bike. I also have a KLR 650. I was doing some trail riding last week and the battery died twice. We pushed the bike, it started and since then is running fine. I have the shop manual for the bike and when I got home and I checked battery and the charging system. The battery is not charging. I only get 12.7-13.0V at different RPMs. I checked the rectifier with the millimeter and it seems ok, I also check the stator and it seems to produce AC V as per normal operation. My next was going to check the ground connections. I read here the rectifier ground connection modification. Anyone here had a similar issue and after the mod was done the charging system worked fine again? The bike runs fine. Any comments are more than welcome.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2015, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The mod has not really proved to have much of a difference, although it can't hurt. It seems to be jetting is the real culprit.
If the mod was done incorrectly, you might not be charging, although I'm not sure about that without seeing the wiring.
You probably just have a tired old battery that needs replacement. Start there.
The bike is pretty robust.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The mod has not really proved to have much of a difference, although it can't hurt. It seems to be jetting is the real culprit.
If the mod was done incorrectly, you might not be charging, although I'm not sure about that without seeing the wiring.
You probably just have a tired old battery that needs replacement. Start there.
The bike is pretty robust.
Thanks for replying. The battery was bought in April this year. I had a fully charged battery before I used the voltmeter.

I'm away from home for a few days but when I'm back I'll try a few more things I have read about it.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a persistent stumble at 4-5k rpm steady cruise. Tried the ground mod and needle height. Finally went one bigger on the pilot jet and have not had a stumble in over a year.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Two things:

1- i'm bumping this post for the benefit of any late-comers that may not have seen it. I've been looking for this solution for 6 months and finally found it. Smoothed out my throttle response and eliminated the bucking at about 7k

2- i did the "T" method where i soldered a wire onto the terminal wire in the connector and ran it out to the ground screw. Unfortunately after about 20 minutes of riding the battery died and left me on the side of the road. I verified continuity between the ground screw and the terminal connector where it would plug into the regulator. So.....whats wrong here?

Also -whats the trick to removing those terminal clips from the connector? I worked in there with a small screwdriver but cant get it to release to check it out.

For clarity - If i change this to the one wire method, i would clip the black yellow wire going down to the loom and ground that end, not the end with the terminal clip...right? Its not clear to me from reading through these posts....the "harness" end refers to the wires running out and down the bike frame right?

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed