Supermoto tires for less than ideal pavement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Supermoto tires for less than ideal pavement

Think I scored a wheel-set off of a KLX supermoto. What tires are recommended for broken asphalt, potholes, and general sandy/dirty conditions? Got some great twisties nearby but the road conditions are terrible.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Avon Distanzia.

In any tire you want the 70 profile versus the 60 on the front,. More cush if you hit a big hole.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default avon distanzia

Originally Posted by klx678
Avon Distanzia.

In any tire you want the 70 profile versus the 60 on the front,. More cush if you hit a big hole.
I'm happy with the Avon Distanzias I got.

They are perfect for the roads I ride on.

mostly asphalt, super smooth, no tire noise.

and the 2 miles I drive on a gravel road, that gets resurfaced and has pot holes, these tires have no problem keeping traction.

I have rode on the gravel road, not thick gravel, at 45 mph indicated on the speedometer.

I like the Avons better than the stock dunlops, because of the fact that on gravel and asphalt you would feel the dunlop tires gripping into the pavement when applying the brakes.

the distanzia glides over road surfaces, while also keeping traction in the rough stuff.

Avon is a quality tire , some tires from Avon such as the Cobra have a 15,000 miles warranty.

I was told by a guy who has had these Distanzias that they last a long time.

Avon has just recently released a tire called the Trial Rider Adventure Sport, check them out, pretty cool looking tread.

and yes, I contacted the company , and made sure before I bought them, and asked the guy who installed them, that even though they may say tubeless, they will fit a tube type tire. the tire even says if installing on a tube type wheel use tubes. I believe the guy who installed my tires used my stock tubes.

http://www.avonmoto.com/

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/adv...ort/trailrider

Last edited by KLX25O; 09-10-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Tubeless indicates the inside of the carcass has an air tight membrane to hold air without a tube. The manufacturers usually say to consider the sustained speed rating should be dropped one range due to the slight increase in heat that the tube will create. So now instead of hauling around at 150 mph you have to hold it down to about 130 mph. Think you can do that?

Actually tube type are getting to be rarer and rarer to find in DOT type tires. I think most off road are still tube type though.

I learned that from the Bridgestone rep at a Honda parts/accessories seminar, among some other goodies, like the metric sizing is usually ±5mm in width, the reason why you need to verify the actual width from the manufacturer's site. In addition he pointed out the motorcycle manufacturer's psi ratings are for what the manufacturer believe will give the best general ride, where the psi listed on the tire is the max recommended pressure for the tire and that the max load capacity is at that max pressure. Good seminar.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

So it looks like the manual calls for front 110/70-17 and rear 130/70-17. I'm not seeing exact matches for these sizes in the Distanzias.. looks like front 120/70 and rear 130/80. Those good?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure that's what KLX250 used. He'll probably post.

Both my brother and a friend used them. My brother on his Buell Ulysses and friend on his DRz400SM. Both ran them on dirt/gravel and even some off road trails.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I picked out the tires, the guy who installed them cross referenced the numbers off of my old tires. Note: the distanzias are directional tires also.

this is the tire sizes he ordered for the motorcycle-no complaints. he said they would be smaller in profile. but wouldn't be noticeable, and they basically look the same. only a minimal difference. the distanzias do look bigger on the bike, I haven't checked the air pressure, but he told me he filled them up to 35 psi. he said if the air pressure wasn't good, or too bouncy, to air them down some, I like them aired up though. the distanzias are big boy tires. haha.

the front: 90/90-21
the rear: 120/80-18

I have some photos on the tires installed on the forum somewhere. in another thread.

Last edited by KLX25O; 09-12-2015 at 05:16 PM.