Strange exhaust note at cruising speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
the surge isn't necessarily at 6500, mine was closer to 5000-5500. It seemed to be more about holding a steady cruising RPM in the mid range than any one certain RPM.

And yes, you want to ground the box (rectifier) not the wire going into it. Adding a wire is the best bet but if you had to cut, make sure you ground the end coming out of the box and not the end that heads into the wiring loom as that is the existing ground. Failure to do so will result in the battery not being charged.
I am still unsure.. The wire in the picture is black and yellow and it plugs into the box... Is that not the one I piggyback on to? Sorry but my quest for clarity has only confused me more. I'm not sure what you mean by the "wire already heading into the loom" as they all technically do that don't they?

I just want to do this right

Thanks

Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CC_Rider
I am still unsure.. The wire in the picture is black and yellow and it plugs into the box... Is that not the one I piggyback on to? Sorry but my quest for clarity has only confused me more. I'm not sure what you mean by the "wire already heading into the loom" as they all technically do that don't they?

I just want to do this right

Thanks
Yes you want to ground the black/yellow wire. If you are only adding an additional wire you don't need to do anything else. Just run the added wire to the starter ground and bolt it down.

Some of us have had to cut the wire (I didn't have the time/materials to solder a new wire) and at that point you will have two wires, the end attached to the box/plug and the end that runs into the existing loom. You would want to ground the end coming out of the box/plug now and not the end that leads into the existing loom.

Heres a very crude paint illustration for the cut method -

Attached Thumbnails Strange exhaust note at cruising speeds-klx-ground.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had this same issue several times. Surging while cruising, but WOT was ok. Every time it's happened, I took the carb out and the pilot jet was partially clogged. I cleaned the jet (carb cleaner, compressed air and a .009 guitar string poked through the jet does the trick), put the carb back and then it's back to normal.

I've even had this when I had an auxilary in-line fuel filter in place (thinking some crap was making it past the petcock 'sock' - not sure what was clogging the jet, but it seems every few months, I have to take the carb out and clean the jets (mostly the pilot).

I run a 35 Pilot jet, 128 Main jet, FMF PC4 exhaust and intake snorkel removed.

I'd say, unless you're already done it, remove the carb and clean it, particularly the pilot jet, and see if that fixes it.