strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default strange engine noise

Since the day I bought the bike it made a kind of rattling noise when the engine is cold somewhere around 4000 rpm. This noised disappeared after the engine warmed up.
Now after 12.000 km the noise does not completely go away even after the engine is hot. Am I assuming correctly that the cam chain tensioner is the culprit?

Is there anything I can do to the stock unit or do I have to order the krieger one often mentioned in this forum?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it loudest right around 5200 rpm?

If it is, you're probably right and it's likely the stock cam chain tensioner.

I picked up a krieger manual adjuster and my problem totally went away. I then went on to worrying about all the other noises I could now here.

Honestly, the stock one WILL wear out on its own anyway. May as well replace it and go from there.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duomike
... Is there anything I can do to the stock unit or do I have to order the krieger one often mentioned in this forum?
The stock unit is self adjusting, any attempts to manually adjust it could (will) result in top end damage. Get the Krieger, well worth the money.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

You can alter the stock one ,I did. I drilled and tapped through the center of the bolt that holds the spring in M6 . Then inserted an M6 bolt that is about 76mm long( it must be threaded the whole length) . An m6 bolt fits through the center of the spring(Ø1/4" does not). just tighten finger tighten and lock with a lock nut. Use an o-ring on the bolt between the lock nut and body to seal it.I would post a pic but not sure how to.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a pic (hopefully)

Old 06-22-2015, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies. Will follow your advice and will order the manual tensioner. Just send an inquiry to Krieger

Old 06-22-2015, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thewack
You can alter the stock one ,I did. I drilled and tapped through the center of the bolt that holds the spring in M6 . Then inserted an M6 bolt that is about 76mm long( it must be threaded the whole length) . An m6 bolt fits through the center of the spring(Ø1/4" does not). just tighten finger tighten and lock with a lock nut. Use an o-ring on the bolt between the lock nut and body to seal it.I would post a pic but not sure how to.
Whoa! That's some McGuyver level modding! Great job!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks,13000 Kms and no problems

Old 06-22-2015, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Make sure you took out the ratchet pawl. If not, it is possible to get the drive too tight and it won't back out if it happens to lock in on the rack. I know that was what we saw as a possibility on my first tensioner I did on my KLX650. I drove the pin out and got rid of the pawl, but I also got rid of the rack and used a full length thru bolt. Absolute direct control.

Quick Reply: strange engine noise