Storing bike for winter/Pitbull stand

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Storing bike for winter/Pitbull stand

I contacted Pitbull about there fork and swing arm stand for a dual sport.

here is what they said would work: front
Pit Bull Products Hybrid Forklift - Motorcycle Front Stand

back:Pit Bull Products Dirt Bike Rear, Motorcycle Stand

does anyone know any similar stands that would work that are cheaper?

how does everyone else store there bike for the winter, to keep flat spots off tires.

or do you just roll the bike around every so often to a different spot during the winter like I did last winter.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX25O

or do you just roll the bike around every so often to a different spot during the winter like I did last winter.
Don't worry about it. Move it once a month if you feel the need to. The stands you list are more street bike products.

Something like this is useful. TRACKSIDE - Steel MX Box Stand - Lift Stands - Stands - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link for the box stand! I just bought 3, 1 for each of my dirt bikes.
They aren't the slickest version but for $140 and all my dirt bikes off the ground, I'll take it.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Winter? Hell, I'm just starting to get ready for the Fall riding season after 3 months of not riding in this hot humid crappy Summer heat. Summer is my off season.....

Last edited by Werloc; 08-27-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

The bike weighs less than 300 lbs. You don't get flat spots. I leave my bikes on the kick stand.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
The bike weighs less than 300 lbs. You don't get flat spots. I leave my bikes on the kick stand.
^^^This^^^...These little DS bikes and the kind of tires they have do not require this kind of attention for upright storage. However, if you feel the need or just want the bike to take up less room by standing upright, the bike is light enough to lift on to one of those box stands...or...use a cheaper lever stand that goes under the frame/engine. I use a handy, cheap, lever stand like this one in the pic.

You should spend more time and attention to the fuel system and treating it for winter storage.

Attached Thumbnails Storing bike for winter/Pitbull stand-bike-lift-1.jpg   Storing bike for winter/Pitbull stand-lever-lift.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default fuel storage

Originally Posted by TNC
^^^This^^^...These little DS bikes and the kind of tires they have do not require this kind of attention for upright storage. However, if you feel the need or just want the bike to take up less room by standing upright, the bike is light enough to lift on to one of those box stands...or...use a cheaper lever stand that goes under the frame/engine. I use a handy, cheap, lever stand like this one in the pic.

You should spend more time and attention to the fuel system and treating it for winter storage.
Last winter I drained the entire tank and carb, then put sea foam in the tank and made sure sea foam was the only thing in the carb.

Then I filled the rest of the tank with gas, I heard if you don't put gas in the tank for storage that the tank will rust.

I didn't run the gas that I left it in the bike over the winter, even though I also put fuel stabilizer in it, I drained the tank and carb again. I drained the gas in a gas can and used it in my old truck.

I have been using 1 oz of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the bike every five or so fill ups this summer, its suppose to clean the carb.

Last edited by KLX25O; 08-27-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default yep

Originally Posted by Werloc
Winter? Hell, I'm just starting to get ready for the Fall riding season after 3 months of not riding in this hot humid crappy Summer heat. Summer is my off season.....
the bike runs better in colder weather, natures COLD AIR INDUCTION.

What is the latest in the season you regularly ride?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys stop riding?

Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default riding

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
You guys stop riding?
I got my bike last November, I just had it tagged and insurance, never got the bike inspected until March.

It was cold in March,

I'm better prepared now, I have some heated gloves, thermal coveralls, and a baklava,

how late in the year do you ride?

Quick Reply: Storing bike for winter/Pitbull stand