It started out good... but then went down hill from there...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Yuk. Keep your sand.
I was out a few weeks ago running up and down a dry desert creek bed full of sand with three quad riders. That was a good 20 minute work out for me. For them, not so much.
Mark - I hope you Dr. says otherwise, but plan on more than six weeks before getting back on the dirt. Heal up!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I kind of figure that. I'm off school for about 12 weeks so that would likely be the case.

I'm hoping I can be back on the roads with the 650 sooner.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Our Michigan sugar sand sucks. that is all.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm planning on going back for more... trail riding, not sand!

If we ever encounter the same situation I will treat it like muddy clay ruts... turn around and get out before the damage is done! I think I said it, but had it been mud we'd have turned around in less than 100 yards. Being inexperienced with that sort of sand - we didn't. Next time...

I've been riding again on the road and some dirt/gravel since around late July. Back in school, ankle still hurts some, but I'm told that is normal. I get in school early then walk a few laps of the halls, because it involves a set of steps up and down with each lap. Works the ankle movement. I've found I have to quite figuratively (I think that is what one rider said, rather than say literally you should say figuratively), I find I have to concentrate on walking properly, otherwise I catch myself limping.

Such is life. I'm still hoping for a couple days on the road (dirt/gravel and tight twisty pavement) doing a few nights "credit card camping" before fall. I also hope to go do some trails in the fall. The 250 is ready and waiting. The 650 has a bigass tank bag, which is more of a trunk, on the carrier rack and the National Cycle Deflector Screen back on it to do the road stuff and to do a bit more commuting to school. The kids kind of get a kick out of an old fart teacher riding a "dirt bike" to school... I do too.

Well... now to go fire up a stogie and mow the grass... Later... and again thanks for the well wishes. All is good.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 AM

KLX678 - Hope you have or are healing well. I'm an "older" rider/ re-discovering the fun of off road/dual sport here in Florida and have to deal with deep sugar sand on almost every ride. Don't like it and can really relate to the sweat factor after a few hours of working deep sand. Mostly, to get anywhere it's slide back on the seat and let er rip! Half the time, when ripping through deep sand I don't know whether to laugh out loud or poop my pants. However, so far I've survived without major injury and learned this technique the hard way after picking myself and the bike up 4 or 5 times trying to ride the edges (as you described) or work the middle (narrow atv trails lined with pine trees) at a slower speed.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I grew up riding the orange groves of central FL and it's nothing but deep sand. Just keep it pinned and it'll be all right...