Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Update!!!!

Tomorrow afternoon (lately morning in Europe),the dyno graph compare during original and "fixed box" installed 250KLX without others mod will be posted.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Cool api ecu

hello ,i am new here

i bought the ecu from api tech two days ago in pattaya(5000 bath or 125 euro) ,in the kawasaki shop on sukumvith road.i like it because i can go 155 km/u(all original)only it starts more difficult and when you start the rpm goes up to 4000 rpm ,when i tune it down with the screw for the rpm the next time i start it, when its cold i have to give some throtlle before it starts and fall dead sometimes.so i am playing alot with the rpm screw trying to adjust it good.after i took the snorkel off and it was starting a litlle better.what can i do to let it accelerate more with this ecu?can i put a bigger backsprocket(45 or 47 is available here)and what is the best exhaust for this set up?because i want some wheelie power ;0
and what can i do more?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chatbovon
In the beginning, we will contact here, in case the others guy can be follow and learn from us. We will use e-mail or chat when we have to ask and answer immediately during you are adjusting and tuning. Please tell me about your time period which we will meet, for API, they will contact you after 3.00pm here or 9.00am there and we will post many reply, for me, I will have time after 5.30pm (finished working time).

You can mod your snorkel and exhaust by your needs. ECU will effect your bike in your climate like these:

-Bike lay down sensor will not work (supermoto version)

-Stand sensor will work different (please check, hard and long to explain)

After replace with API ECU, follow this step (don't use tuning software in first step).

1.Install ECU in the morning or cold engine first start, you have to push start engine button for more and longer time (how long, up to your climate). After engine has already warm up, it will easier to start

2. In the morning first start, if engine run over 3000rpm, you have to adjust by rolling the screw at throttle to reduce engine until 2200rpm then stop!! If you mistake this step, the engine will be always hard to start.

3. Auto idle speed control will not work until engine temperature over 40 degree Celsius. After that, it will in auto mode

4. Test riding, feel it by slow run basically to check for too enrich or lean? If you sure that it ready to run, not too enrich or lean, run it by your needs!!

5. After basic testing, API want you to connect device for data collect preparing and send to API. They will observe every parameter by video chat or send program data file from ECU back and then we will start to adjust or tune parameters.

6. After complete parameter and make sure you well understand in API ECU system, they will send "unlimit box" to you. You will be able to play with your every mod part. It's all up to you.

7 API will send their piggy bag which can adjust fuel injection, injection and ignition degree and the most interested, expand original ECU running cut off.

Steve: Did caburate KLX use CDI box? If yes, you may see API CDI soon!!!
I see no problem with any of the points , I´m all for sharing information as whe go testing in the forum . As far as time is concerned you should have ICT wich is GMT+7 , I have CET wich is GMT+2 ( due to daylight saving time , normaly is GMT+1 ) , and in America whe can take EST wich is GMT-4 also due to summer time . So when is 5 in the afternoon in Thailand it will be 12 noon in Spain and 6 in the morning on the eastern time in the US . For the sake of simplicity let´s use only ICT ( Thailand time ) so whe can rapidly deduce whatever time whe need .
It did the same thing on idle when I did the cam mod , readjusted the cold idle to 2200 and never had a problem sience .
The unlimited box is THE BEST
The original KLX , the 93-94 D model did not cut down the ignition advance after 7500 RPM , neither did the A model KLX300 . In the Kawasaki nomenclature these bikes have a CDI .The generator had two phases , a 14 V and a 48 that was used for ignition . Then later the generator was changed to a triphasic 14 V , the ignition controller was called an ignitor and all the KLX ignition controllers sience will drop ignition advance after 7500 . There are basicaly 2 versions : one with a maximum advance of 25* ( north and south America ) and one with a maximum advance of 35* for the rest of the world . Obviously the 35* unit behaves better in high RPM's but it will still lower the advance after 7500 - 8000 .
Apart from droping the advance issue , having 10* less in America may have something to do with the cheap low octane gasoline available at the pump . The highest octane at the pump in the states is 93 and it´s under 4$/ US gallon . In Europe whe get 95 and 98 but it's 1.5 euros/ liter ( aprox 7$/ US gallon ) . What kind of gasoline is it available in Thailand and how much does it cost ?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chatbovon
Update!!!!

Tomorrow afternoon (lately morning in Europe),the dyno graph compare during original and "fixed box" installed 250KLX without others mod will be posted.
I can't wait to see a KLX dyno where the power keeps going higher and HIGHER and HIGHER after 7500 RPM

Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marcelino
having 10* less in America may have something to do with the cheap low octane gasoline available at the pump . The highest octane at the pump in the states is 93 and it´s under 4$/ US gallon . In Europe whe get 95 and 98 but it's 1.5 euros/ liter ( aprox 7$/ US gallon ) . What kind of gasoline is it available in Thailand and how much does it cost ?
The US uses a RON+MON/2 method to determine a "anti knock index" rating.

Our 87 octane is roughly the same as 92 in those countrys that use the RON only rating, and the "premium" 93 would be about 98 RON.

The reason our fuel is cheaper is that we don't pay the amount of taxes on our fuel that others in the rest of the world pay. (its still to much if you ask me though).

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
The US uses a RON+MON/2 method to determine a "anti knock index" rating.

Our 87 octane is roughly the same as 92 in those countrys that use the RON only rating, and the "premium" 93 would be about 98 RON.

The reason our fuel is cheaper is that we don't pay the amount of taxes on our fuel that others in the rest of the world pay. (its still to much if you ask me though).
I forgot about this aspect . The only explanation left standing for having 10* less maximum advance may have to do with passing California emissions . Reducing the spark advance reduces the combustion temperature therefore reducing the nitrous oxide emissions .

Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Today API technician has just came back from Pattaya Kawasaki shop. He went to teach and suggest API ECU user and train all of Kawasaki staff in Thailand.

API ECU Thai version was developed under many point of condition of employer (secret) which concentrates in unharmed the engine and consumes the gas in acceptable range by the reason of them. This will make you feel free and confident in your bike.

Indian : please follow, for the basically, hold the start button for a longer time. After engine start, screw to adjust throttle down to 2000rpm quickly. Then stop adjusting and wait, when engine temperature increase to 40 degree Celsius, auto speed idle will control idle speed automatically. If you try to tune throttle after auto speed worked, you will not able to control idle and the engine will be hard to start. You will feel easier to start engine if you follow these suggestion.
Your ECU is Thai version “fixed box” which was reduced power from full performance of API ECU by the reason of employer for not be the problem to warrantee. Finally the difference from export KLX device, you have to calibrate your ECU to most optimal to your bike and up more power. But you cannot tune “fixed box”. If you want to do, you have to send back to API and upgrade your ECU to “tuning box”. Its cost about 3500 bath (82 euro) then you will get tuning wire and program. For exhaust, they cannot tell you what is the best, you have to find yourself, each bike have not the same condition but “fixed box” can support VE about 5%.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

API pround to present........dyno result, API ECU (fixed box) in KLX and the one without.

Red use API ECU, Green use stock ECU.
And this three links are the video clip during dyno testing.

Testing KLX has modified by only disconecting the speed sensor in shabby KLX (about 70%).
They stop test at 10500rpm, equal to cut off engine of stock ECU. So please try to imagine the power at 10500-12000rpm yourself. Hahaha

‪MOV004‬‏ - YouTube

‪KLX 250 Dynotest 1‬‏ - YouTube

‪KLX250 Dynotest2‬‏ - YouTube

This graph cannot reference the power between 3000-5000rpm because of unstable opening throttle from humen hand but we focus in power after 7000 rpm.

Last edited by chatbovon; 07-21-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice to see the KLX 250 has been once again uncorked above 7500 RPM . This wasn't happening sience the D model back in 94 . This is surely the biggest headache to overcome in a KLX .

Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I forget about gas topic...(sorry :P )

Technician want to say thank to you that you refer to Thai time. He cannot sleep well (5 hr. per night) because he wait to reply and go around Thailand to suggest, teach and train about 125 and 250 KLX API ECU to every dealer. In Thailand testing, they often use octane 91 mixed with ethanol 10% (we called gasohol91 E10). You will got more power if use higher octane (highest octane is 95 in Thailand)

You may not know that Thai gasoline was mixed with ethanol in several proportion by look at number after “E” and we called gasohol. Pure gasoline 95 = 1.15eu/L (6.23$/gal), pure gasoline 91 = 1.00eu/L (5.43$/gal), gasohol95 E10 = 0.89eu/L (4.81$/gal), gasohol91 E10 = 0.83eu/L (4.49$/gal), gasohol95 E20 = 0.81eu/L (4.38$/gal) and the lowest quality, gasohol95 E85 = 0.52eu/L (2.84$/gal). Thai KLX250 can use gasohol91 E10 as the lowest quality acception.

In this dyno test, he use pure gas91.

Quick Reply: Stand alone tuning ECU for KLX250