Sold the KLX, picked up an XR400R

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sold the KLX, picked up an XR400R

And I couldn't be happier!

Sold the KLX for 3200, the plastics for 200, and the exhaust for 300.

bought this super clean, low hours, plated XR400 for 2400 cash! I have lots a room left for upgrades
(http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...336439013.html if its still up)

The bike weighs 30 pounds less than my KLX. I found that hard to believe when I did my research.. I figured the weight would be distributed atleast differently and not feel as easy to handle as the KLX, but I was wrong. The bike feels much lighter, has so much more power, and it is the sets the standard for reliability. I will probably hold on to this bike for the rest of my life and only have to change the top end once. Stoked because this is exactly what I've been looking for! Something as light as the KLX, faster than than the DRZ-S. Feels too much like a 351'd KLX, but plenty more torque. Must say I do miss the radiator... but these things never overheat!

So now I've dropped about a G in an hour, first thing on the list was a Pumper carb from XRs only, (first kick 95% and never floods) and an upgraded spark plug for 99% first kick, keyed ignition, clarke 3.8 tank, fender eliminator, grippy seat, Polisport rear fender, front fender, bars, side panels, grips, mirrors, Vapor kit, small blinkers, and still have about 600 dollars left over!

So that being said, my KLX reign is over. I continue to be a huge fan of the KLX... it is one of the best dual sports on the market. The 2 of them I had within the past 6 months have taught me a whole lot and made me a better rider. It is one of the best bikes to start on.

Now it's time for something with some more power, cheaper parts, and super reliability. I set my sights on the XR. The reason being that myself and 7 others will be doing the TAT next May and I need to get a bike ready now to go cross country. My last KLX I just sold had 2500 miles on it, was my commuter, and was pratically brand new.. I couldn't get myself to ride it hard enough, and it just lacked the power that I always wished I had as I ran the **** out of the thing (Don't get me wrong.. the KLX is a blast and I absolutely loved riding the guts out of it). So it had to go! My FMF Q4 and Megabomb now belongs to maxslack, and the Black plastics to BillMoore.

Wish me luck as I start building on this thing Monday!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride. My experiences with the XR's in my riding were over heating issues with it back firing and such. I would have to re-jet at that time for the altitude during the ride. But yes, it proved to be a durable ride.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice ride lots of power cheap parts very reliable what more could you ask . Just too tall and big for me lol . Post pics

Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Worst thing about the XR400R was that Honda lacked the foresight to actually make an XR400L version for the street in the U.S. It was virtually the perfect off road serious play bike for a few decades. What a shame they never actually were made with the TRX electric start (which I understand could be fitted) or at least the wiring and electrics from an XR650L. I'd love one.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

No estart and not factory street legal. That's why I sold my xr400r that I had ridden and raced hard for nearly a decade. It was a very dependable bike but the kicker was lame. Also pretty outdated suspension but better brakes and transmission than the KLX. Same fuel economy but way more power with the XR, and tractor like low end power.

I dropped the XR to get the KLX and am still happy. The XR weighed 300 lbs, I put it on the scale myself. Haven't done that with the KLX to compare. They feel similar in weight.

Easier carb and air filter access with the XR. You don't need a fancy pumper carb, just tune the simple OEM carb and learn how to kickstart a thumper.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Wouldn't mind one with Sumo rims

Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
No estart and not factory street legal.
That's exactly what kept me from buying a really nice one last year. Even if it's my dream bike since my younger days, I want one that can haul my butt everywhere I need too, from highway to tight trails. It's a shame it can't be "street legalised" here.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

pumper carb = no flooding and 95% first kick... oyu can fit an e-star twith a TRX, only adding a few pounds. Don't know why i'm getting attacked! well, I guess this isa KLX forum!

What does factory street legal matter when this XR's plated? some re-gearing and good tires and it makes just as good of a dual sport as the KLX.

The XR will beat the KLX in the dirt by miles and miles Highbeam, you know this!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

No one's attacking you. I think they're questioning Honda for not turning it into a factory dualsport. I believe an XR is still pretty perfect in that role as long as you don't mind kicking, which I don't.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
What does factory street legal matter when this XR's plated?
It can't be up here. It's an off road bike from factory, and will never be allowed to be used on the road (plated), even if one put flasher, mirrors and stuff.

Quick Reply: Sold the KLX, picked up an XR400R