So, what is the KLX really capable of???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default So, what is the KLX really capable of???

I keep reading comments on here like "the KLX can go anywhere the orange bikes can go, just a bit slower".

Well I am a fairly pedestrian rider on the KLX and although I can get the odd "dialed-in" moment when giving it a bit of stick on modestly technical terrain, the overwhelming feeling is that it's a heavy and soggy machine. (Despite this, I love the bike and really enjoy pottering about on it).

Now when I watch YouTube videos I see orange (and red and blue) bikes dancing from rock to rock in a way that I can never imagine even Graham Jarvis being able to do on a KLX. This is the closest KLX vid I can find:

The sharp end of Rudland Rigg is the most technical terrain I have tackled on the KLX (this isn't me, BTW):

Down is OK, but the lack of front end pop-ability makes it very challenging going up those rock steps.

So come on guys, inspire me with what your KLXs can really do!

Last edited by DT175MX; 02-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't have any videos, but the KLX is very competent in some very gnarly terrain. And if you do some suspension work and kick the power up just a bit, it's even more competent. I think the '06/'07 models...believe that's an '07 in the climbing vid...are slightly better off road because of the travel. Is some of the really tough stuff we encounter in real off road situations done easier and with less effort on a real competition bike?...yes, of course.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

A modified KLX is only limited to your ***** and gravity...

Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't have any videos, but the KLX is very competent in some very gnarly terrain. And if you do some suspension work and kick the power up just a bit, it's even more competent. I think the '06/'07 models...believe that's an '07 in the climbing vid...are slightly better off road because of the travel. Is some of the really tough stuff we encounter in real off road situations done easier and with less effort on a real competition bike?...yes, of course.
I seem to remember you posted a pic of yourself mounting quite a large rock step - difficult to tell on a pic, but looked larger than I would want to tackle.

Kawa claimed to have improved the suspension from 09 on, despite the shorter travel. The earlier version does for some reason look more off-road capable though. Maybe it's easier to loft the front end over obstacles on the older model?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
. And if you do some suspension work and kick the power up just a bit, it's even more competent. .
TNC,

What sort of suspension work have you done to your bike if I may ask? I read the link you have with the tutorial on suspension, but wonder what kind (brand) of components you and others are using. My suspension is still stock ('09) and I weigh about 210-215 with all my gear on. The only pavement I do is to transfer from dirt to dirt, no more than a few miles. FS roads, jeep trails and single track with rocks thrown in for good measure. Getting ready to spend some money and looking for examples from others. I don't ride competition anymore, but spirited riding with friends, about "B" enduro level.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 02-25-2014, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I am a little older now and that has slowed me down a bit. In the early 70’s I took the advice of a rider named Malcolm Smith. He said the way to win a race is to ride as fast as you can and when you fall get up as fast as you can and ride as fast as you can. My KLX is light years ahead of the 1973 KX 250 I rode then except for HP. I just can’t ride as fast as you can anymore.

That said, so far my 2012 has done everything I have asked it to do (after mods). I may not be able to keep up with some of my riding friends, many of which are 20+ years younger, on their pure breed dirt machines, but I’m not too far behind. I think a great percentage of the bikes capability is dependent upon the rider’s nerve and skill as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I installed .44 Race Tech fork springs and a 6.0 Eibach rear spring. I also installed Race Tech Gold Valve kits that totally revalved both the fork and shock. It made a huge difference in the bike's off road performance. John at Moto Pro has also developed an excellent package of springs and revalving for the KLX. At your weight I'd think you'd benefit greatly from heavier springs too.

DT175, Kaw didn't really do anything to improve the '09 and later suspension, but they didn't do anything to hurt it either, other than slightly reduce travel. On the ability to loft the front wheel on ledges, once you do some of the performance mods to the carb, pipe, and airbox, goosing the throttle while cresting a ledge isn't that hard...and that goes for just about any bike because of the attitude of the bike going uphill. I think you'll find more issue on flat ground or even slightly downhill where a big rut or rock surprises you, and you need to loft the front wheel quickly. This is where the suspension mods will help when you have to slam into a substantial obstacle.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=TNC;506762]I installed .44 Race Tech fork springs and a 6.0 Eibach rear spring. I also installed Race Tech Gold Valve kits that totally revalved both the fork and shock. Quote

Thanks. Did you buy the components directly from the maker, or another source?

Tom

Old 02-25-2014, 05:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=maquette;506767]
Originally Posted by TNC
I installed .44 Race Tech fork springs and a 6.0 Eibach rear spring. I also installed Race Tech Gold Valve kits that totally revalved both the fork and shock. Quote

Thanks. Did you buy the components directly from the maker, or another source?

Tom
I got them through a wholesale distributor from a shop that I used to work at that still gives me a big parts price break. With the '06, I was able to use KLX300 components. With the '09 and later bikes, I think I'd go with John at Moto Pro, as he's spent more time doing his kit for the later model bike.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I would also say rider plays a lot! I saw a wild man (excellent rider, but a shade nuts!) exchanging the lead at a harescrambles with a rider on a "state of the art" Penton 125 (in 1973) riding a stinking Suzuki TS125 that was stripped down with knobbies. And it was a muddy race to boot. Oh, they were leading the event that included up to open class, dicing for the over all!

Now I will say that the KLX is a whole lot closer to the KTM now than that Suzuki was to the Penton back then. So I'd definitely believe the KLX would go about anywhere the KTM does, but slower. We're not talking racing, we're talking trails.

Quick Reply: So, what is the KLX really capable of???