six loose rubber hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Question six loose rubber hoses?

So i was washing my bike when i found three rubber hoses were loose. i inspected them and one of them had a dirty, clear cone looking plastic thing that said "UP" and it was attached to one of the hoses, at the end of the cone it had a clamp looking thing which makes me think it belongs attached to something or another hose. I took it out gave it a sniff and it smelled like gas. I checked and theyr'e apparently attached to the gas tank. Then i found a smaller rubber hose which im not sure where it leads to. after that i go to the other side of my bike and find two clear yellowish ones that are under a metal looking clip thats part of the fame. Im guessing these two clear ones belong here? Where do the other four go?are they supposed to be attached to something else? If anyone knows what they are or have any idea please let me know, keep in mind im a KLX noob and its my first bike, so i am still learning(:

six loose rubber hoses?-20150613_165448.jpg

six loose rubber hoses?-20150613_165519.jpg

six loose rubber hoses?-20150613_165139.jpg

six loose rubber hoses?-20150613_165201.jpg

~Thank You, Virus

Last edited by SocialVirus; 06-13-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

WHY WOULD ANYONE CUT THOSE LINES?!?! They're extremely important to the operation of the bike... So weird that they are left hanging like that. You'll likely have to do a tear down on the bottom end of your engine to ensure that there wasn't any long term damage due to the vaccum resonance from the air switch pump and crank vent.

Kidding...

The big two matching ones are your gas tank vents and the clear tubes are your carb vents (look into a T-Mod for those if you do water crossings) I forget what the UP one is for, but its normal also. It'll prevent you from spilling gas all over your extremely hot exhaust system in the event you tip your bike.

Last edited by pwjm; 06-13-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

1st picture is the airbox drain and 2 gas tank vent lines. The bottle is supposed to be capped so it doesn't drip oil in front of the rear tire.
2nd picture is the gas tank vent lines again.
3rd picture is the gas tank vent lines and carb vent lines (the ones that get the T-mod).
4th picture looks like a carb vent line if that is the choke plunger I see.
They are all supposed to be like that(except the catch bottle)...bikes gotta breathe!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
WHY WOULD ANYONE CUT THOSE LINES?!?! They're extremely important to the operation of the bike... So weird that they are left hanging like that. You'll likely have to do a tear down on the bottom end of your engine to ensure that there wasn't any long term damage due to the vaccum resonance from the air switch pump and crank vent.
Dude you scared the crap out of me haha, i had to scroll down to see the other half of the message so it was perfect. Well done! haha and thanks!

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The bottle is supposed to be capped so it doesn't drip oil in front of the rear tire.
They are all supposed to be like that(except the catch bottle)...bikes gotta breathe!
Ahh gracias! so i have to find a way to cap the bottom part of the bottle huh? should i clean it or?

Again thanks dudes!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

At Home Depot or the like you can find vinyl caps in a variety of sizes, I know if you remove the black hose and leave just the bottle(it doesn't hang down as far) a white cap fits. They are color coded by size. I used a variety when I pulled the smog crap.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

The bottle is an indicator, expect to see some oil collect over time, if you see water you need to check things out.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm

Kidding...

The big two matching ones are your gas tank vents and the clear tubes are your carb vents (look into a T-Mod for those if you do water crossings) I forget what the UP one is for, but its normal also. It'll prevent you from spilling gas all over your extremely hot exhaust system in the event you tip your bike.
Man! I am reading on my netbook and didn't see the bottom at first, sittng here thinking "What the he..."

Good job!

Old 06-14-2015, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
1st picture is the airbox drain and 2 gas tank vent lines. The bottle is supposed to be capped so it doesn't drip oil in front of the rear tire.
2nd picture is the gas tank vent lines again.
3rd picture is the gas tank vent lines and carb vent lines (the ones that get the T-mod).
4th picture looks like a carb vent line if that is the choke plunger I see.
Actually capped so you can "drain off any oil/fluid from the bottle and dispose of properly" per EPA type thought process. Those drains in front of tires were open drains for years before I'm thinking the late 70s or early 80s. Before the bottle they stuck caps in a clear line. My 650 had the cap - it doesn't any more. Unless my engine blows all its oil out into the air box, there is no worry about oil on the tire. If that happens I'm sure I'll know before it gets to the tire.

If really concerned about it, reroute the line off to the side away from the tire. Some bikes have all the lines off to the side already.

Last edited by klx678; 06-14-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

You dudes are awesome! im learning from this forum already! oh btw whats the littlest one for? Gracias!

Old 06-15-2015, 01:56 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Actually capped so you can "drain off any oil/fluid from the bottle and dispose of properly" per EPA type thought process. Those drains in front of tires were open drains for years before I'm thinking the late 70s or early 80s. Before the bottle they stuck caps in a clear line. My 650 had the cap - it doesn't any more. Unless my engine blows all its oil out into the air box, there is no worry about oil on the tire. If that happens I'm sure I'll know before it gets to the tire.

If really concerned about it, reroute the line off to the side away from the tire. Some bikes have all the lines off to the side already.
Yeah, I pulled that little bottle off mine when I first got it. EPA???...Pffffft!...in fact I usually take one quart of my used oil at each change, put it in one of the plastic oil bottles that my oil came in, and then I punch a small hole in it after strapping it to my rear rack on my '06 model when I start my next ride. Hey!...I try to do anything I can to help the EPA. I call it recycling.

Quick Reply: six loose rubber hoses?