Shift Star - Design Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 PM

Thought I may have had the shift star problem on my '12 but upon taking things apart found this... The Sift Shaft has a part that moves the shift star and that was what broke apart. About $47 for the part, not bad... just waiting for it to get here to put stuff back together. I think I'll go look at it to see if I have the newer shift star anyway though.. Anyone have any tips on getting the two bolts at the back end of the cover back on? I can't seem to get it in place again due to the angle with the frame ??

Attached Thumbnails Shift Star - Design Change-screen-shot-2014-07-29-4.29.11-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Jesse Abernethy; 07-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well that's interesting - haven't seen that before. Could you please describe what caused it and exactly what the symptoms were?

Also, by all means check out your shift star and report back what type you have. Pictures would be great too.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM

I totally forgot to take pictures during the tear down but I will later today. As for what happened and symptoms... Crashed landing on the left side, tweaked the front suspension a bit that was fixed trail side by loosening some bolts and lining stuff up again, but then I noticed my shifter pointed straight up...That's not good....Maybe it slipped instead of breaking the lever...Took the lever off straightened it out a bit using some rocks and trees and put it in the right position, it then flopped around like a cooked noodle. No gear changes at all. Luckily I was only about 150 meters from a road we crossed and had my support crew (wife) rescue me with the trailer.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:00 PM

So here is the pic of my shift star, looks good. Then the new part vs the broken part... Now everything is back together but I am having trouble getting into first gear and when I do get it into first it pops into Neutral on its own very very easily. I'd say my percentage of accurate shifts into first gear from neutral or from second is about 25%. Any thoughts what could cause this? Edit: I think I have it figured out.. The pin in the first picture directly left of where the shift shaft goes in was slightly bent up as well... resulting in possibly keeping the shift mechanism from going all the way down.. Ordered the $7 part and will advise.

Attached Thumbnails Shift Star - Design Change-screen-shot-2014-08-01-1.56.00-pm.jpg   Shift Star - Design Change-screen-shot-2014-08-01-1.56.15-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Jesse Abernethy; 08-02-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Illking
Im curious, I never have problems getting into 1st but i do have a lot of shifts to 2nd fall into neutral. Is this something experienced with the old shift star design or am i just too light footed on my shift into 2nd? I plan on doing a 351 kit soon and while im changing back to the stock front sprocket, it might be a good time to pop in a new shift star.
illkings old bike here,

experienced this as well but sometimes recently (after a few too many lay downs) having trouble getting into first. i would hammer the shifter down and wouldn't get past neutral. need to half clutch roll the bike to get it to engage

decided to open it up

bike is an '09

star looks fine, replaced it with the beefier design anyway
pin barely bent with a few chew marks, replaced it

Name:  IMG_1468.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  164.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1473.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  148.5 KBName:  IMG_1471.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  155.0 KB

Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 PM

I pick up a 2012 on Tuesday...

Am I safe in assuming that Kawasaki remedied the problem by that year?

Old 06-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Default Help please

Hey lutz I broke my shift star and when I got the new part The updated one , it doesn't seem to fit . So I welded the pin back on the old shift star but I know that won't hold. Any suggestions?

Old 06-01-2018, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The broken off pin was rewelded to the shift star? Can’t imagine the weld bead holding very long on a pourous casting tho. The new star installed no problem on the ‘09 klx after a laugh in style 2nd gear bobble ...

Attached Thumbnails Shift Star - Design Change-c0f125b6-6db8-44c2-97bd-7708c0cb1f02.jpeg  
Old 06-07-2018, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Nguyen
Hey lutz I broke my shift star and when I got the new part The updated one , it doesn't seem to fit . So I welded the pin back on the old shift star but I know that won't hold. Any suggestions?
What about the replacement part seems like it doesn’t fit? If it is really the correct part, it should work without issue, even though it looks slightly different (see the side by side picture above). Did you possibly order or receive the wrong part number?

Old 06-08-2018, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on Lutz's comments. I replaced the shift star with the "new style" on my '09, and it went in and worked slick as snot.

Quick Reply: Shift Star - Design Change