Shift Star - Design Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Shift Star - Design Change

*****EDIT: I'm adding this detail upfront, in case you don't want to read the whole thread. In 2009 in the U.S. models (in 2008 in Australia), Kawasaki changed the design of the shift star in the KLX250S; this new design is very prone to breaking, which will leave a bike without all it's gears and with a piece of shrapnel that can get into the transmission and cause damage. So far (as of January 17, 2012) there have been several reports on this site of broken '09 (U.S. model) shift stars, and one broken '10 model shift star, and one broken '08 (Australian model). Apparently, the replacement parts coming from Kawasaki have reverted to the much stronger '06-'07 (U.S.) design.*****

*****EDIT: There's another recurring shift problem that affects potentially all years of KLX250S. A bent stud/stop pin that limits gear change mechanism travel. It's under the same cover as the shift star. Read about it here: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ar-gone-34237/

A number of us have broken a pin off of the shift star after left side crashes. This has happened to whatever gear the bike happens to be in (or going into) at the time of the crash. Mine broke the pin for 5th gear, others have broken the pins in other gears. So in looking at others' pictures, I was planning to look closely at mine to see if an aftermarket star could be made stronger (I happen to be an ME, so this type of thing is up my alley).

Anyway, I ordered a new OEM replacement, received it today, and discovered something quite interesting: apparently Kawasaki is already manufacturing replacement shift stars differently than what came in the bike stock. In the pics below, the new part is on the left, the broken part is on the right. The new part is OEM Kawasaki, and is the correct part number for the '06-'07 and '09-'10 bikes: 13091-1856. I haven't had the gear change mechanism fully assembled to 100% verify proper operation with the new part, but everything looks functionally the same ***EDIT: I have had it in for a couple thousand miles now, and it works absolutely fine.*** I ordered mine on April 25, 2011 via Bike Bandit.

Clearly, the new part is a stronger design than the broken one, since there is no machining done on the inside edge of the pins. I'm just hoping this is enough to eliminate future breakage. It also appears that the original was a powdered metal part, whereas the new appears to be cast - both can be fine ways to make this type of part, so this is just an observation that I found interesting.

I have no idea why the original star was machined the way it was - perhaps a function that was never incorporated, or used in the overeas EFI bikes? I also wonder if the new style I received came stock in any bikes? Could be that Kawi is just using multiple vendors who use different methods. Lastly, I wonder if Kawi changed the design purposely due to the discovery of this Achille's heel?

So for those of you who have broken and replaced your shift stars, which style was in the bike when it broke and which did you replace it with?
Year of bike, country, and when you replaced the part would be helpful for future reference. I'll start:
2009 KLX250S
USA, 49 state model
Replaced April 2011

Attached Thumbnails Shift Star - Design Change-dsc_0842_small.jpg   Shift Star - Design Change-dsc_0843_small.jpg  

Last edited by Lutz; 05-21-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Very interesting. Even the shape of the stars are different, with the replacement star having a convex sided , fatter point. I'll have to look and see if I have any pics of mine.
Dan

Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

This is mine off my "07". It looks like it isn't like either of the ones you posted. Notice how the inside relief follows the pins , dipping in and out around them. Looks more like your replacement part than your oem part, but still different??
Dan

Name:  IMG_7520-1.jpg
Views: 3803
Size:  70.8 KB

Lutz's stars
Name:  DSC_0842_small.jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  23.2 KB

Last edited by dan888; 05-06-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  DSC05787.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  33.5 KB

here's mine

Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I just did a bunch of searching through old threads here. So far, it looks like might only be the '09-'10 bikes that have actually broken the shift star. If anyone has an '06-'07 who has broken one, I'd like to know. For that matter, it would be interesting to now if any of the old KLX250 or KLX300 dirt bikes had broken shift stars.

If it is indeed just the newer bikes, that makes sense due to the way the inside edges of the pins are machined - less cross sectional area plus stress risers = poor design.

On a related note: my bike used to shift great...I hope it still does with the different profile of the replacement part. If I have any problems, I'll just machine it to the profile of the original.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is a post from a long time ago about shift star mods. This one looks like your replacement part doesn't it?

Shift Star Fix

Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Here is a post from a long time ago about shift star mods. This one looks like your replacement part doesn't it?

Shift Star Fix
Yeah, that's a modification to a KLX300 shift star. Apparently, Kawasaki changed the profile in the '06 KLX250 in the direction of the modified KLX300 part. I guess they went a little further with the profile on the '09 part - but then they also added that cut along the inside of the pins.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan, I'm looking at that picture again, and I just can't tell...is that really a relief on your part, or is it an optical illusion. I can see some reflections on the surface of the neutral indicator part. Can you verify?

Originally Posted by dan888
This is mine off my "07". It looks like it isn't like either of the ones you posted. Notice how the inside relief follows the pins , dipping in and out around them. Looks more like your replacement part than your oem part, but still different??
Dan

Lutz's stars

Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Upon looking at it again, I believe you sir are correct. What I thought was relief around the pins looks like a reflection of the low spot between the points of the shift star. Good call. Optical illusion. That pic is from when I replaced the bent limiting pin in the center of the shift fork over the winter.
Dan

Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Lutz I'm wondering if the new part is going to work in your bike? Why did they put that c-bore in there? Did they change something else that required more room in the center of the star?
Hope it all fits back together with the new one. Definitely want the design of the replacement part if it fits.
Dan

Quick Reply: Shift Star - Design Change