She is dead Jim!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default She is dead Jim!

So I went for a good ride last weekend with my 2009 KLX250s and all was well until we went out on our last run of the day and the speedometer starts blinking on and off as I was riding and when I came to a resting place the battery was dead! I had charged it that morning and it is a new battery. So after I bump started it the bike worked OK but no power lights led nothing. I took it home and cleaned it up and started jiggling the the cable to the speedometer and it lit up so I figured it was OK. Then Tuesday I went to check it and it had been on a trickle charge and the bike was dead no power nothing. I purchased a new rectifier and installed it this afternoon and it did nothing. When I turn the key to the on position my charger changes from green to blinking red and then when I turn the key to off the charger glows red for a few seconds and then glows solid green for being fully charged. All fuses look good. Where should I start?

Here you can see it blinking

Ohenry

Last edited by Ohenry; 04-11-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

you sure the battery just isn't shot ?

nevermind I see that you said it was a new battery. Check you ground, sounds like it may be intermittent, OR you have a ground somewhere that it shouldn't be and is draining your battery.

have you done any mods recently ?

Last edited by wildcard; 04-11-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

battery's connection and grounding.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Could also be a bad stator. You've already replaced the regulator so we'll assume that's good. I went through something similar with my DR650 two years ago. I ended up replacing both the regulator and the stator. My stock regulator turned out to be what was bad, but my very limited knowledge on the topic at the time prevented me from realizing the new aftermarket replacement regulator was also faulty -- due to poor crimp connections on its wiring harness. Upside is I had a good excuse to get a higher-output stator.

There was a thread here a while back about grounding the regulator to the engine (by cutting its wire going into the harness). I dunno if that'll help much, but it's a thought. If you do that, cut the wire from the connector to the regulator, NOT in the actual harness itself.

If the battery is getting hammered this bad, the possibility also exists that the new battery is now toast. So keep that in mind too.

Rob

Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
you sure the battery just isn't shot ?

nevermind I see that you said it was a new battery. Check you ground, sounds like it may be intermittent, OR you have a ground somewhere that it shouldn't be and is draining your battery.

have you done any mods recently ?
The only mod I did before that ride is I replaced my headlight because the old one got impaled. Only the light housing was shattered the light still worked. Prior to that was the 351 kit. I was thinking about this problem and I remembered that every now and then when I would turn the key and hit the starter the instrument panel and lights would sometimes cut out and go blank and back on again and reset the clock and trip meters.

Last edited by Ohenry; 04-11-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll bet you have a loose or corroded connection somewhere. My bike did the same thing once a few years ago. It turned out to be a loose screw holding the cable to the positive battery terminal.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help!
I had left the bike an a charger since yesterday and when I got home and turned the key the headlight turned on! I was like OK this battery is toast. I connected the jumper cables and did not start my truck, I just let the trucks battery charge the bikes. After 20 minutes the speedo showed up and the bike kicked over! Yes!
But the instrument panel and speedo where blinking on and off again while it was running! OH NO! So I went to Advanced Auto and got a 7 amp hour from them for $40 and it came with a three month warranty which I figured would help if the battery died again. Connected it up and it now working perfectly! Yes! $40 for the battery and $40 for the rectifier and we are good to go! I will keep an eye on it but I am going riding tomorrow!

Ohenry

Last edited by Ohenry; 04-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ohenry, glad to see its running and all, but...

if you have a multimeter and the time
it cant hurt to determine that the charging sys is all up to snuff.

google triumph rat regulator rectifier testing

for the single best set of testing instructions available on the net
of course, some connectors or wire colors may be diff
but all the same principles apply to any modern bike with a R/R

its all very easy to check, and you will know that ALL IS WELL

Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

It's Alive!
I tested all the voltages and the thing is working like new!
Thanks again!

Ohenry

Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you have it sorted. Thanks for posting the vid of Whissenhunt, that's one of the OHV areas I have not visited yet because of the limited fuel range I have-the new Acerbis tank should fix that shortly.
I don't know how far you're willing to travel but if you are looking for some challenging terrain then try -windy gap/milma creek west of Ellijay. You won't be disappointed and if you really want to test your skills then come up to my area and ride Beasley **** or Oakey Mountain-just try and hit those after at least a weeks dry spell or it may be to slick to pass. Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - OHV Riding & Camping:OHV Trail Riding

Quick Reply: She is dead Jim!