Seat upgrade for rocky technical riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Seat upgrade for rocky technical riding?

After four days of 3-10 mph riding on rocky trails I am hitting the A&D ointment pretty hard. 2009 KLX250S, so the foam is 6 yrs old.

Would another seat help? I am lean, and wear "Mens Basic Bike Short Padded Cycling Shorts"
Amazon.com: Mens Basic Padded Bike Short Cycling Shorts Biking Pant - Made in USA: Clothing Amazon.com: Mens Basic Padded Bike Short Cycling Shorts Biking Pant - Made in USA: Clothing
and Klim Mojave ITB pants.

The shorts are great for mountain biking and I don't have any problems there. Usually I alternate days of MTB and moto, which provides a butt break.

Four days straight of moto in rocks was not good. Maybe its just a physics and physiology thing, but I am wondering if there is some technology that would help... besides A&D diaper ointment. Which is full of lanolin (wool grease) and very good stuff.

This review liked the Seat Concepts for highway, but not trail:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-seat-w-37321/

Another interesting review:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...0-38310/page2/

I think 70mph offroad means *off-highway*? Experiences with hard bouncing trail riding appreciated. (Of course I stand up, but not for 6-8 hrs.) I ride as little on smooth surfaces as possible, and the stock seat feels fine there.

Sounds like the SC just takes some contact cement, or is it worth paying them $20 to install?

Thanks

Last edited by KawaBiker; 09-08-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems counter intuitive for summer but a sheepskin is what I use.
I stand most of the time, but when I sit it provides just enough extra cushion.
If you are tall, you could add softer foam over the existing and then shape it. Or just have the original foam replaced with softer foam and use the existing cover.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the best is to stand up in rocky technical terrain.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Sheepskin: great suggestion, I will try this

Yes, as I said above, I do I stand up. But I can't stand up on a dirt bike all day, even though I stand at a sit-stand desk all day. Sorry.

Last edited by KawaBiker; 09-08-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I just put a Seat Concepts on my bike, if you call in your order they'll ask you some questions about your weight and what ever. I got my seat foam .5 a percent less dense than stock and its great, I weigh about 140 fyi. The front of the seat still provides plenty of room to stand, I actually got a extra seat pan for the kit so I just swap seats if needed. But in all honesty I might end up just rocking the SC on trail rides too. You need to take your time and pay attention how the fabric lays on the seat. Its not rocket science but it might be frustrating for some people. I glued the seat foam to the seat pan and used a good quality manual stapler at first, the results were poor at best. I ended up buying an air stapler, Arrow brand for 35 bucks at Lowes, and the results were ten fold better. I pulled all the old staples out and just being able to hold the fabric where you like and air staple it rock solid was awesome. Also, the staples are a lot more secure and your job will have professional results because it keeps the fabric taunt. A manual stapler will be less than stellar so don't bother. If you don't mind the down time then just send the seat in for 20 bucks. FYI the customer service was great!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Perhaps standing, even if it's just for a few seconds between long siting periods, can help.
For what it's worth, Multiple days in a row is tough on my ****, even with the couch seat my KDX has.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Norcal: Thanks for the info. I have so many repair and mod projects I would probably just get them to do it.

Maximus: Do you remember what sheepskin you use? I found this one which has been discussed in a forum before: Butt Buffer

Amazon.com: Butt Buffer BF01312.BK-L Motorcycle Seat Pad and Sheepskin Seat Cover: Automotive Amazon.com: Butt Buffer BF01312.BK-L Motorcycle Seat Pad and Sheepskin Seat Cover: Automotive

This is a really interesting review because the guy has tried a whole series of products including sheepskin:

"I've tried everything to make my ride more comfortable. Got rid of the
stock seat and bought an expensive, and supposedly more comfortable
one....that helped a little. Bought a gel pad for the seat...that
helped a little. Bought a more expensive sheepskin gel pad...that
helped a little more. But none of these things kept me from getting to
the "Okay, I need to get off the bike" point after an hour of riding. ... I did a
little research and came across the Airhawk. At first I thought the
price was much too expensive, but I figured if it actually works, I
don't care how much it costs me. The good news - it does work, and
quite well. As I said, I believe that if you are cursed with a tender
butt, nothing is gonna stop at least a little discomfort, but the
Airhawk comes closer - by far - than anything else I have tried."

Amazon.com: Airhawk Airhawk R Seat Pad AHR: Automotive Amazon.com: Airhawk Airhawk R Seat Pad AHR: Automotive

Last edited by KawaBiker; 09-09-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a "rug" made of 4 sheepskins. One day I noticed the threads were unraveling and it was getting a little too used looking to keep on the floor, so I cut them apart. I just lay it on the seat and use my Wolfmann Enduro tank bag straps to secure the front and my fender bag or a bungee on the back.
Best to give it a good rub down with lanolin to waterproof it. It also helps with cleaning it.
Mine has been covered in mud! I just let it dry, then shake it out, almost like new before washing.
I would google sheepskin for sale. I once got a 2'x2' real chamois for $20 shipped from NZ, they had sheepskins for cheap too.
Or you could check out the Sheepskin Buttpads | Alaska Leather
Price of the above is what drove me to use what I had on hand.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Wool is amazing stuff. As a teenage hobby I sheared wool and tanned sheepskins. The sheep did not like either, but preferred the first.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I bet they did. ROFLMAO!

Quick Reply: Seat upgrade for rocky technical riding?