Sand

Old 05-25-2015, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sand

I'm thinking that I am getting in a big gear and low rpm is hurting the bike balance when in sand.
I'm going to try staying in a lower gear and running @ +5K rpm in sand and trying if it helps the front from diving into the sand.

Any thoughts on sand setup?
I've tried all the rider stuff, leaning back, standing, steering with balance, but those high speed auger-ins are a pain picking the bike up.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:22 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the KLX is pretty much doomed in soft sand due to its weight and comparatively low power. Even with a 351 the power to weight is tough sledding in sand. The old XR650R's weren't lightweights by any means, but the guys who ran them in sand usually pumped up the already potent engine to stay on top of the stuff. When I raced Husky open class 2-strokes in enduros in the 70's...360 & 390...deep sand wasn't that tough with the decent power to weight of those bikes. However, when you absolutely had to let off the throttle for an obstacle or quick direction change, it still got interesting despite the weight. Getting back as far as possible is an obvious requirement, but I also usually "sawed" on the handlebar a tiny bit when I got the sensation of the front end trying to "dig in". I think this tended to keep my feedback active so I could react before the tire really "knifed" into the sand more than I could recover...resulting in the inevitable dump in the sand. Sounds weird but it worked for me.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking the gyroscopic force of the engine would help, probably have to really have it up at the top of the range though.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Set more compression in the front fork.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

The more weight over the rear tire the better.....if ur sitting u might be sitting in the tool bag lol but you will notice a difference. I hate sand! But I manage well on the klx if I'm going fast enough. It also keeps the front end from wobbling or being pulled by the sand. Too many riders slow down in sand and that makes the bike harder and less fun to ride.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ianmcdca
The more weight over the rear tire the better.....if ur sitting u might be sitting in the tool bag lol but you will notice a difference. I hate sand! But I manage well on the klx if I'm going fast enough. It also keeps the front end from wobbling or being pulled by the sand. Too many riders slow down in sand and that makes the bike harder and less fun to ride.
That is a fact. Last year I broke my ankle because I was in such deep sand on a tight single track trail. Problem - I couldn't get any speed so I could never get weight back and roll on the throttle. Previously we were on open trails where there was more dirt in the sand and you could see deeper sand coming. I'd slow up on approach so I could be accelerating through the sand - worked great. It doesn't take a lot of throttle, just some acceleration to help unweight the front wheel.

It was just when I was stuck trying to get going in 1st/2nd gear low rpm plodding along. I tipped over twice at literally a stop. The second one I didn't get my foot out from under the back of the bike (side cover area) and pancaked my ankle, cracking the bone.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

South Jersey is loaded with sugar sand. This is my set up: FMF Powerecore, Dyno-Jet: #128 Main, 3 turns out, Snorkle removed, 13t Front and 47t Rear sprocket, Kenda TrakMaster II Front & Rear with aired down to 15 PSI. When I get near sand I take my azz off the seat, lean back, and twist the wrist. This bike will go through anything! Also, confidence in your skills is a must. Dual sport tires are useless in sand.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Found a solution to the poor performance in the sand:

Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 PM

You need to get on speed, stand up and lean back. Tire pressure 0.3-0.5bar.
1 2 & 3 gear is usable with stock fitting.
You need large knoobies

It works, but its more Fun with more hp like ktm 690

Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Turbo setup..... I usually ride my bike, not just hang out in the driveway reving it up and down........so that is out.
Does he have a hook to hang that bucket on when he is riding?
And what the hell is all that sheit coming out???
Don't stick your finger in there!
Usually I would recommend putting the carb on the intake to the turbo, it would be easier to tune I would think.
I don't know who he had do that turbo, but I would get another guy if I was interested.

Admiraliss.... I do all what you said, I must not be that good! But I'm going to try the high rpm trick next ride I do in the sand and see, I'll report back. I actually think the problem with the KLX is the steering head angle or trail on the front wheel, but can't change those without major modifications.

Last edited by durielk; 05-28-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sand