Is a rusty chain normal or bad maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Is a rusty chain normal or bad maintenance?

I noticed my chain had a fair amount of rust on it. When I thought about it I realized its been a while since I cleaned and lubed it. Is rust normal and if so to what extent? All the links have some rust on them, but nothing significant...yet.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Is a Plaque on your teeth normal or bad maintenance???

Hate to be harsh but some times the truth might hurt.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Im wondering the same.

I got a chain oiler, it lubes the center of the chain from the top. The sides dont get much lube so they have started to become a little bit rusty. I cleaned the chain a few weeks ago but its starting to come back...

But why would the sides of the chain need to be lubed?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I have an X-ring chain...basically same as O-ring...and I use a dry lube. With these chains you're really only lubing the chain and sprocket interface and preventing rust. The term "dry lube" may sound contradictory, but it just means the lubricating elements in the lube don't require or at least don't remain in a wet state. Teflon, graphite, wax, and other compounds do a pretty good job of lubrication without any or very little moisture. Wet lubes or at least lubes that remain wet long after application aren't so hot for off road conditions. It can make a grinding paste of the wet lube and dirt/grit encountered off road. For pavement-only applications it's not as big a deal. Just stay off of dirt roads. Aftermarket chain oilers require a wet lube to work...motor oil, etc...and while they do a fine job for street bikes, it's better avoided for off road.

If your chain is showing obvious signs of rust, even just on the outer plates, it's probably a good sign you're not lubing enough, or at least with the wrong lube. I do mainly off road and lube my chain after every ride. I have a flip-up bike stand that I take everywhere I go and just keep it in camp or in the shop. It's one of those deals that just levers up under the skid plate and has a long handle that rocks the bike's rear wheel off the ground. By lubing after every ride, I don't mean that I spray a half can of dry lube on the chain...just enough to see a uniform layer of sheen on the rollers. You lube the inside of the chain...the lower run of chain...as you spin the wheel. A can of chain lube lasts a long time when used properly.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Quit washing your bike and the chain will stop rusting. Plus you won't be able to see the rust cause all the shiet on it.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Quit washing your bike and the chain will stop rusting. Plus you won't be able to see the rust cause all the shiet on it.
I'm thinking you mean quit pressure washing the bike...

Add in there, don't spray water at any bearing area, like head set (fork crown) bearings, wheel bearings, chain (rollers are plain bearings) and even the carburetor (no bearings, but why blow water in anything there).

Knock the clods of mud off then wash with a garden hose and a bucket of soapy water, cloth and brushes. If you must pressure wash, be careful...

and lube the chain.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I just douse everything in kerosene, let is evap (after a wipe) then hit metal parts with brake cleaner. Of course not the chain, i use wd40 and chain lube for that

Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tkm433
Is a Plaque on your teeth normal or bad maintenance???

Good analogy.

Poor maintenance.

Been there, done that. I now try to regularly look at my chain. Any hint of rust indicates it is not being cleaned and lubed enough.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Good analogy.

Poor maintenance.

Been there, done that. I now try to regularly look at my chain. Any hint of rust indicates it is not being cleaned and lubed enough.
My first chain (just replaced a couple weeks ago at 16k miles) was lubed with chain lube and wd40, but the outer links always turned a burnt orange color and I could never figure out why?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Always lube" dry wax lube" your chain every couple of rides or every 2 300 miles..

Quick Reply: Is a rusty chain normal or bad maintenance?