run the KLX with no mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

If you're running mid 90's now, you'll be reporting 120mph after uncorking it..lol

Starting up after 5-10 seconds of grinding on the starter is not good. But that'll improve also, once the carb is setup correctly..

Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
Appreciate the replies, various opinions. I'm a very experienced rider so more power is always desired, but it's so dependable in stock form, and I never expected much power to begin with. But if it's substantial and just waiting to be uncorked… well then, maybe.

Mine starts so easy, enricher off within 5-10 seconds, no lie. As for 97mph; this morning, I did 94mph before shutting it down. I'm only 150 lbs btw. Too fast to ride like that though.

I'm doing other mods, but stuff like hand guards, rear rack, cut rear fender, etc. I even trimmed all the OEM stickers, less busy. I'm looking for an engine guard now, not too many choices out there, was hoping for a tube type.
I believe you, but there must be something wrong with your speedo-- I am 145lbs, ride at 35' ASL, have DG pipe, Uni, lidless, 40 pilot, N1TC needle, 138 Keihin main. Arm-pulling power over stock-- yet it tops out at 87-88 in a tuck, drops to 84-85 sitting up. You'd need at least another 10 to 15 horsepower to counter the wind drag for the 10 mile increase from 87 to 97.

Need to check your speedo vs GPS. If its right, either you have a huge tailwind and/or big down slope, ride in a vacuum, or you have a magic engine. No sarcasm here-- 97 mph is physically impossible with the aerodynamics of this 18 hp bike.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
Appreciate the replies, various opinions. I'm a very experienced rider so more power is always desired, but it's so dependable in stock form, and I never expected much power to begin with. But if it's substantial and just waiting to be uncorked… well then, maybe.

Mine starts so easy, enricher off within 5-10 seconds, no lie. As for 97mph; this morning, I did 94mph before shutting it down. I'm only 150 lbs btw. Too fast to ride like that though.

I'm doing other mods, but stuff like hand guards, rear rack, cut rear fender, etc. I even trimmed all the OEM stickers, less busy. I'm looking for an engine guard now, not too many choices out there, was hoping for a tube type.
It ain't stock! No stock KLX with a carb starts like that unless the jetting is done. I'm also figuring if you saw over 90 mph your bike is geared higher than stock and if it did it rather easily I'm betting it isn't a 250 anymore. I've got a 650 that takes a bit to reach 100mph.

One question... does it have 17" wheels?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Full exhaust, lidless, with DJ144/1N, MCM (a fully uncorked stockbore set up for max power) goes triple digits if you're tucked.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

KLX678, you beat me to it-- maybe hes running smaller wheels, I dunno.

I do know I had a sweet 1997 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe for my first bike. Only a 4 speed, but makes 38hp at the rear wheels stock. Only when tucking hard on a LONNNG stretch would it get to ~100. Just barely. Sit up and it was dropping to 95 or less quickly.

KLXster, are you saying you can reach triple digits on your bike?

From Wikipedia
"The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW)."
Something doesnt add up--Im probably not hitting 22hp, but I know its not less than 19. 15+mph over my top speed would require a HUGE power increase over what I have now.

Last edited by Josh128; 05-26-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I'm sure I can, I had to let off as I was passing 93mph once due to the front tire starting to bounce/wobble.. At least one member has done triple digits a few times using my "full exhaust recipe" - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ndition-43883/

I really don't want to talk about going over 100mph too much as I do not want to a part of ANYONE trying to reach those speeds.

One thing I can definitely confirm - We can "upright" cruise @ 80+ mph quite easily..

My latest dyno (last week) shows I'm up to 23.5 HP..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

After reading these replies, I rode home yesterday and tested top speed over the 20 mile ride, consistently 90+. I got home and inspected the carb, still plugged, air box capped and SMOG still in place. Not sure what gives…

Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Well Anthony, our knowledge is that a stock KLX cannot attain those speeds under any "normal" conditions. If 90+ is GPS "certified" and you're not in free fall over a cliff, you have a very strange situation going on with your bike..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
It ain't stock! No stock KLX with a carb starts like that unless the jetting is done.

Mine starts right up 100% stock, air box lid intact, never opened up.

The only time it is a little sluggish to start is when its below 50. 50s and above, it fires after just a 1 or 2 seconds of starter.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for chiming in toomanytoys84, I was beginning to think I was crazy being the only one with this successful stock experience.
When I mentioned starting in 5 seconds, I was referring to using the enricher. When cold, I hit the starter button and it immediately fires up, then I immediately reach down and close the enricher, about 5-10 seconds later from hitting the starter button. No need to let it idle to warm up or anything, it's like fuel injection!

If I don't kill myself in the process, I'll confirm top speed with the GPS and report back.

Quick Reply: run the KLX with no mods?