The revival of the little green bike that could

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
If you have a drilled slide, you certainly could have abberant slide behavior IF you are also running the lighter DJ spring or a shortened/weakened stock spring.. You see, the spring and needle have to be matched up properly as they work as a team..

I'm assuming you've seen both the stock spring, and the DJ spring? Is there anyway to tell the difference between the two?

Right now I don't really have a way to quantify what spring it is. Its silver, and it has the capabilities to be compressed, and will return to its original state, but that's about as much as I can give you for detail. haha.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Correction, spring/needle/slide lift hole work as a team - if its' a good team, you get a good running bike.. If its' a great team, you get a powerful good running bike..

Can't help ya with the spring thing..I can't remember if PWJM and I (or anyone else) ever measured the things.. Check all my and PWJM's threads.... Side-by-side you can tell the DJ from the stocker but that's all the help I can give ya.. You see, you could have a shortened stock spring, a DJ spring, a stock spring etc etc.. That's the "bad" of buying a used bike..

I would check the lift hole for size, if it's drilled, get a DJ 2206 kit, if not, get a DJ 2152 kit.. Either way, also call DJ and get a DJ144, and a few extra needle washers.. Slap it all in (#40 pilot as well) using my recipe and your "done/game over" with CVK setups..

Later on, if you want more, check to see if the MCM has already been done - and if not, DO IT !.....LOL

Last edited by Klxster; 02-08-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

OH WAIT A MINUTE! I just reread this thread.. You ride all the way up to 5K !! 144/1N does not have that kind of altitude forgiveness.. You'll be looking for a compromise setup..(Which will be compromised performance-wise too..)

Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

... For instance, clip on 3N(3rd notch down from the top) w Washer below and above = 3.5N , both washers below = 2N.. You tune for best WOT operation and then ride it to test all-around performance..
Klxster: Good stuff here for the gryph. Wouldn't one washer below be 2.5N? (and it wouldn't matter if there were one or two above, one below would still be 2.5N)

Old 02-08-2016, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Since the bike seemed to be running pretty good before the carb tinkering (besides the Cold start issue) I'm trying to hold of on buying a complete jet kit.

Does anyone happen to have measurements for an unmodified stock spring, and a DJ spring? It think it may help my mid range issue if I un-drill the lift hole (plastic weld, and then drill new,back to the original size), but I'm not sure what the original size hole is, so there's that too.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, with 1N being the top most notch, one washer below the clip (obviously with the other one above the clip) would be 1.5N, Both washers below the clip is 2N - which is equal to putting the clip on 2N with both washers above.... Kapeesh..?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Where does this "n" reference come from? 2n , 2nd notch?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gryphus1
I haven't been wrenching lately. Finally found some time this weekend!

So, the last time I tore into the bike I was having starting issues.... I have now sorted that out, in the process I took the time to check & adjust the valves, and put in a manual CCT.

The starting issue turned out to be a bad starter Idler gear..I bought a 2010 KLX two weeks ago, so I was able to pull that part out of that bike, and put it in this one (for quantification purposes).

Now I'm trying t sort out its carb issues.

It starts, and idles great (after drilling out to .018").

My shop is at 250' above sea level. Ive got a 128 main, 35 Pilot, Needle is set at 3rd clip from top. Running FMF Q4, and the FMF mega bomb. No cover on the air filter.

I had a 40 pilot in it, but when I went up in the hills, around 1,000ft it wouldn't idle / start for crap. So I went back to the 35.

Which brings me to my next question.. After switching back to 35 (which is what it came with) I went and test road it. It seems like it would surge past 3/4. So I drop the clip on the needle, this made the bike pull really hard down low, and it would run in the upper rpms without surging, but would completely cut out after letting off the gas.

Which place are most of you guys setting yours, I know its different for everyone based on sea level.
I'm at 900 ft and running a 40 pilot, N1TC needle (KLX300) 2nd notch from top, 125 main, drilled starter jet .020, drilled slide bleed 7/64ths, and 220 snorkel. Two turns out on the idle, worked so I never adjusted it beyond that. I went lean on the main and installed a Dial-A-Jet to fill in for leanness. I had a surge before doing the N1TC and the Dial-A-Jet, trying to use a shimmed stock needle, surge around 6000 rpm, pulled the choke and it would smooth out a bit (richened the mix). Swapped out the needle and installed the Dial-A-Jet, no flat spots no surge no problem.

The whole trick with the Dial-A-Jet is to be lean and let it add fuel/air mix. Jetted at high altitiude it can compensate for several thousand feet variation. For near 20 years I've ridden my KLX650 with the DAJ in it, otherwise stock carb, on a bike known to be lean, from sea level to around 5000 ft and from 18° to 95°F without any problem or noticeable change in performance. I'm sure there may be some difference, but not much. I also added a big bore piston to 678cc, cut air box lid, full exhaust without adjustment of the carb or even the Dial A Jet, so I'm pretty sold on it. I had a set of 4 in my 86 Nighthawk S back in 89, took out the flat spot in the mid range, tool

If you look in my signature at the Cheap hop up tips there is a link to a great site and two summaries of bikes modified using the KLX300 parts, Read both if you can. Check the site out too.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, with 1N being the top most notch, one washer below the clip (obviously with the other one above the clip) would be 1.5N, Both washers below the clip is 2N - which is equal to putting the clip on 2N with both washers above.... Kapeesh..?
So, then if both washers were below a clip on 3N...4N?

Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
So, then if both washers were below a clip on 3N...4N?

Exactly.. The thickness of 2 of the DJ washers is the thickness between the notches on the DJ needle..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-09-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: The revival of the little green bike that could