Replace rear pads without removing caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Replace rear pads without removing caliper?

Hey gang

I'm in a place where I don't have access to tools that would allow me to remove the back wheel. Does the 2006 rear brake caliper have enough wiggle room to change out the pads without having to take the caliper off (which requires you to take the rear axle out)?

Anyone have any experience?

p.s. The Cyclepedia manual says it's possible but not recommended:

Old 01-10-2016, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I believe you take the caliper off to do so or remove the rear wheel to do so. On my old MotoGuzzi with the Brembo caliper pads could be removed from the top. Not so with my Kaws or Hondas I had.

It's easy to pull the caliper anyway. No surprises if you just pay attention to how it comes apart. Loosen any pins before removing the caliper so it has a good anchor holding it, then remove the caliper and the pins, there's enough hose to work. Before removing the pads wedge the piston side all the way in to allow you to fit the caliper with new pads back on the disc.

If you dig enough you can search out a service manual. The manual is a .pdf that you can print off if you want.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I've got the manual (Cyclopedia) just don't have the means to remove rear wheel right now. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2016, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

After looking at my KLX250 and KLX650 I am fairly certain the pads won't come out by just taking off the rear wheel. The only way is to remove the caliper, which isn't hard and can be done without removing the rear wheel.

Not too hard. I know, I had to swap out rear caliper carriers, removing the caliper from both to do so. I have the smaller 06 rotor on an 09, swapped out the carriers, the calipers were the same.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

He said twice he cannot remove the back wheel.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, temporary situation, on a road-trip/work-trip. Fronts are fine, but rears are down to about 5-10%.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default It can be done

I was messing with my rear brake just yesterday. From what I saw, you can change the pads without removing the rear wheel. You'll need 2 different allen keys (I forget which sizes I used), as well as a flathead.

The larger key will be to take off the caliper slider on the right, then you take a flat head to the little screw on the left, and there will be a smaller allen head bolt under the flat head screw. The bolt slides through the holes in the brake pads, holding them in place. Removing all this will set the pads free.

Be careful, the top of the pads has a metal bracket that may fall out when the pads are set free.

I was not able to take the caliper off without removing the rear wheel.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! Yeah, there's a rail that the caliper moves along (for chain adjustment I would imagine). Thanks, will be digging in tomorrow when pads arrive.
-roccit

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
He said twice he cannot remove the back wheel.
No kidding, if you actually read my posts you'd find I said it wouldn't make any difference since the pads have to have the caliper pins taken out to replace the pads anyway. I would say that is reassurance that it can be done by just pulling the caliper.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roccitman
Thanks! Yeah, there's a rail that the caliper moves along (for chain adjustment I would imagine). Thanks, will be digging in tomorrow when pads arrive.
-roccit

The carrier moves in that slot when adjusting the chain. It is a separate part to which the caliper is bolted. The caliper is separate and removable without removing the rear wheel. The pins hold the caliper on allowing it to float side to side as the pads wear.

Quick Reply: Replace rear pads without removing caliper?