Removable Turn Signal Mod for $12

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Removable Turn Signal Mod for $12

Ok, it will probably cost you more unless you live in Taiwan.

The mod is on my blog right now. I plan to post it here in its entirety once I have some time in the event my blog disappears one day.

Here's the mod:

Removable Turn Signal Mod for KLX250s | Out Recording

Old 01-11-2016, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

A quick vid I threw together to give you a better idea how it looks.

Last edited by outrecording; 01-20-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I take it the connection is like a quarter turn or something to lock the signal on? I have the 09 and this could be done. I thought about some sort of plug set up and this is really interesting. Is the plug body a hard plastic like ABS? If so, it might be possible to glue on the body with ABS pipe cement plumbers use for black ABS.

Thank you, I like it.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Go to market with that!
I've been wanting that for years and have puzzled at the solution, just never got there.
Very cool mod.
I've lost countless hours taking the bike apart to remove/replace signals before/after off-road rides.
I'm more concerned with the rear than the front. And since I never got some LEDs I planned on using for rear signals, I might do this.
Thanks!
Now the LED's I ordered 6 months ago will show up...as soon as I'm done.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

It kind of pops into place and has a ring you screw down by hand to tighten.

The plug itself is really hard plastic, or nylon. The ads says:

Nylon (PA66) UL94V-0

...if that means anything to you. I can say that I initially tried cutting it with my leatherman's jagged little saw blade and got almost nowhere with it. Had to use the carbon disk on the dremel. It still wasn't quick work, but fast enough.

Originally Posted by klx678
I take it the connection is like a quarter turn or something to lock the signal on? I have the 09 and this could be done. I thought about some sort of plug set up and this is really interesting. Is the plug body a hard plastic like ABS? If so, it might be possible to glue on the body with ABS pipe cement plumbers use for black ABS.

Thank you, I like it.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! The cat's out of the bag now. Will have to search for another million dollar idea.

Hopefully this will work out for you. If you want to experiment, you could get some turn signals from a Ninja 250r. At least in my market they're selling them pretty cheap. Look identical to the klx signals.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Go to market with that!
I've been wanting that for years and have puzzled at the solution, just never got there.
Very cool mod.
I've lost countless hours taking the bike apart to remove/replace signals before/after off-road rides.
I'm more concerned with the rear than the front. And since I never got some LEDs I planned on using for rear signals, I might do this.
Thanks!
Now the LED's I ordered 6 months ago will show up...as soon as I'm done.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

This looks like a great mod, but I wonder if there is much advantage to this vs. the very small LED turn signals I installed. Haven't had them on long but the are so small that I think they will survive better than the stock signals. And, they are much brighter than stock. Thoughts?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
This looks like a great mod, but I wonder if there is much advantage to this vs. the very small LED turn signals I installed. Haven't had them on long but the are so small that I think they will survive better than the stock signals. And, they are much brighter than stock. Thoughts?
I had some tiny ones on my last bike. I managed to break one of the rear blinkers in a fall. Granted, they were cheapo made in China lights...so a decent pair prob would have faired better.

But honestly I think a really good pair of smaller turn signals would be fine. Or something like those "indestructible turn signals" from extreme dual sport. (Pic attached) But then you're getting into spending more cash. My thinking was a mod for the stock signal that wouldn't cost much.

Attached Thumbnails Removable Turn Signal Mod for -image.jpg