Reckless Drivers With Reckless Reversing

Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Reckless Drivers With Reckless Reversing

What a day!

I nipped down to my local supermarket to get out of the house for an hour.
Parked the bike up in a empty bay near the entrance and off I went for a quick browse.

After a good few minutes in ASDA I came out, and to my surprise I see my little klx TAKING A NAP!

First thing I thought was, I'm sure I put the kick stand down!
A Polish guy came running over very apologetic telling me how he reversed into the bay thinking it was empty.

After inspecting my bike there wasn't any damage other than a snapped drc reg plate bracket, phew...
The same cant be said about the car in the next bay, as my bike fell the handlebar caught the car giving it a right good old scratch.

Fortunately the guy offered to pay for all damages on the spot.
I suppose the scenario could of been a lot worse, he could of easily drove off without stopping.

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 04-13-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you got very lucky (with your bad luck of having the bike knocked over) - not many people these days, it seems, who would have stuck around to admin fault and remedy the situation.

I usually park my bikes at the very end of the parking spot, so it's very visible, rather than all the way 'in' the parking spot, where it's harder to see.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
I usually park my bikes at the very end of the parking spot, so it's very visible, rather than all the way 'in' the parking spot, where it's harder to see.
Same.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Think I'm going to have to take a leaf out of your book on this one in future.
I usually park well out the way of other cars so its visible from a distance.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Having a brand new bike (its like a new baby for me haha) this scares me ****less. How the **** can you NOT see a big green bike man. Lucky the guy was a decent person and sorted it out. You could have had a hit and run.

Im going to take note of rgmr's advice for sure.

Glad its ok bud

Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by adamellisdj
Having a brand new bike (its like a new baby for me haha) this scares me ****less. How the **** can you NOT see a big green bike man. Lucky the guy was a decent person and sorted it out. You could have had a hit and run.

Im going to take note of rgmr's advice for sure.

Glad its ok bud
If you park deep in the space with cars on either side it is easy for someone to come whipping in or back in without seeing the bike in time. I park out about by the back wheels of the cars on either side of me if I park in a space like that. I usually will park in an end cap if I can. It's a private lot there is no problem and it also leaves another full size car spot for some driver. Never had anyone comment about it, but that would be my reply if it ever happens. "Ya wanna park further away?"

Old 04-15-2015, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you guys allowed to park on the footpath?
In Australia we can as long as we don't impede flow of pedestrian traffic or doorways, crossings etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pygmygod
Are you guys allowed to park on the footpath?
In Australia we can as long as we don't impede flow of pedestrian traffic or doorways, crossings etc.
I'm not sure if we are "legally" allowed to are not.
This is something that I usually do as long as I'm not causing too much of inconvenience towards pedestrians.
After this little incident, I'm going to be far more vigilant of where and how I park.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Private property, such as stores, there isn't really a legal deal unless they post it. Only actual legal deal is the handicapped parking - even in private lots. I use any sort of end caps that do not impede other vehicles. Lots with angle parking usually have spaces like that.

Public property in Ohio is up to the local constabulary. They can screw you or let you do so. Some towns are really bad about it, requiring you back the tire to the curb and only 1 bike per place - talk about stupid. Others will do as you have - park as long as it doesn't block pedestrians.