Rear Spring Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Aside from my joke about the Summit spring, the inner diameter issue can be a real one. My Eibach 6.0 spring was listed as a fit for my '06, and it came with either a top or bottom...can't recall exactly at the moment...spacer that slipped into the stock collar. It works great, but without that collar, you have to make something decently precision to insure retention and fit if the stock collars aren't an exact fit.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the 250 spring must taper slightly in ID at the top, the aftermarkets are a shade bigger. A machined collar would be in order and probably a breeze for a machine shop that would do specialty work... Heck, ought to do my shock and see what it would cost me to get the collars made if I get ten made. Make it easy to fit up a $40 spring. Maybe I could retire five years earlier... Trying to figure out what I can do in addition to tensioners to get to retire and screw around in the garage.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I think the 250 spring must taper slightly in ID at the top, the aftermarkets are a shade bigger. A machined collar would be in order and probably a breeze for a machine shop that would do specialty work... Heck, ought to do my shock and see what it would cost me to get the collars made if I get ten made. Make it easy to fit up a $40 spring. Maybe I could retire five years earlier... Trying to figure out what I can do in addition to tensioners to get to retire and screw around in the garage.
But Mark...abandon the educational welfare of America's youth, leaving us only with a dark future of ignorance and despair? What are you?...just another greedy capitalist? Maybe Bernie Sanders is right!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I ended up ordering a QA1 high travel spring. More info here. The claim is 28% lighter and 20% more travel. Here is the Summit Racing page with the high travel springs.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
But Mark...abandon the educational welfare of America's youth, leaving us only with a dark future of ignorance and despair? What are you?...just another greedy capitalist? Maybe Bernie Sanders is right!

Two things...

Politicians and other administrative minions who keep dumping more mushroom fertilizer on the teaching profession to continue to foul the system of educating students. Most couldn't pass an eighth grade proficiency test and don't have a clue what common core actually is, so they screw with the testing and follow uninformed public opinion against actually trying to plot out what students should know at a given time on a nationwide basis. I didn't take anyone's word for what it was, I did the research to learn for myself and find it works in our school district. I guess some just want to have less knowledgeable students. Some of what makes me want to go at 65.

Knees and other joints holding up for another seven years, but some exercise and a walking/stairs regimen has been working to keep the problems at bay for the last couple years now.

No, wait... Three things... I'd like to be done and go do things in the garage... I'm the idiot administrator there!

Last edited by klx678; 05-31-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Two things...

Politicians and other administrative minions who keep dumping more mushroom fertilizer on the teaching profession to continue to foul the system of educating students.

Knees and other joints holding up for another seven years.

No, wait... Three things... I'd like to be done and go do things in the garage.
LOL!...I'm with ya!

Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Wanted to report back on the results of the QA1 high travel spring. The stock spring has the top coil wound a bit smaller at 2"ID. Where the QA1 spring is 2.5" ID. That caused me to use another spring seat adapter on the shock.
Quite happy with the spring rate and cost of the upgrade. Went from the stock 5.6 kg/mm to a 6.2 kg/mm. Which is a 350 lb/in spring.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire44
Wanted to report back on the results of the QA1 high travel spring. The stock spring has the top coil wound a bit smaller at 2"ID. Where the QA1 spring is 2.5" ID. That caused me to use another spring seat adapter on the shock.
Quite happy with the spring rate and cost of the upgrade. Went from the stock 5.6 kg/mm to a 6.2 kg/mm. Which is a 350 lb/in spring.
Awesome thanks!

Where did you get the adapter? And is there any clearance issues because of the wider top coil?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the adapter from my garage. I have lots of Triumph Spitfire parts. Turns out the spring seat from a stock spring was perfect with a slot cut in it.
Essentially a large washer with the right ID/OD would work. I think that's what THIS part is.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Need to watch out for the collar or ring rubbing the intake on straight springs, can be a problem unless the spring length and preload combine to keep it keep it away. The stock spring is beehive wound to gain clearance in that area. I doubt very much the stock spring is 5.8, even a new one.

Quick Reply: Rear Spring Upgrade