Rear brake ergonomics w mx boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear brake ergonomics w mx boots

I have tried removing return spring, adding an extra Keychain ring to upper hole spring attaches to, and I've moved bolts higher to change braking point.

I just can't get rear brake pedal to comfortably stay below my foot when wearing offroad boots. If I remove return spring it kinda works, but then it doesn't return back to position very well.

One person made cuts and welds but that's not an option for me.

What are you guys doing?

Old 04-07-2015, 02:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The brake pedal is mild steel. You can remove the pedal, stick the pivot end in a vise chucked up with wood, and slightly bend the end of the pedal. It doesn't take much. With the actuation rod screwed in as far as possible, I had the same problem, so I just bent the pedal down a bit.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
The brake pedal is mild steel. You can remove the pedal, stick the pivot end in a vise chucked up with wood, and slightly bend the end of the pedal. It doesn't take much. With the actuation rod screwed in as far as possible, I had the same problem, so I just bent the pedal down a bit.
Huh. As simple as that. Thanks!

I have a cheap-o vise but it's not installed on my bench yet (didn't have right size screws). I'll have to give this a shot!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I just picked my foot up to brake, and ride on the ***** of my feet, rather than my heels.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I just picked my foot up to brake, and ride on the ***** of my feet, rather than my heels.
I do a lot of riding in dirt so I like to be able to hit brakes quicker than that for slides. I'd prefer to not have to lift up my entire foot (and rotate it if I need to be on arches of feet for jumps, etc).

I do keep the ***** of my feet on pegs unless I'm about to get some air, but my boots still can't rest comfortably there with brake pedal at the height it is at.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zeno
I do a lot of riding in dirt so I like to be able to hit brakes quicker than that for slides. I'd prefer to not have to lift up my entire foot (and rotate it if I need to be on arches of feet for jumps, etc).

I do keep the ***** of my feet on pegs unless I'm about to get some air, but my boots still can't rest comfortably there with brake pedal at the height it is at.
Hmmm...Well do you have stock pegs? put the rubber inserts back in and see if that helps, if it does maybe you can find some way to fab up a part that allows you to keep the height without sacrificing the grip?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Just curious . . . do the 09+ 's' models come with the rubber inserts?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

No.
'SF' feature would be my guess.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

12 s' in the UK came with the rubber inserts.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Hmmm...Well do you have stock pegs? put the rubber inserts back in and see if that helps, if it does maybe you can find some way to fab up a part that allows you to keep the height without sacrificing the grip?
My '06 didn't come with any rubber inserts, but I put on wider IMS pegs anyways for more foot support.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I could put some sort of rubber covers or something to increase height of pegs instead... but I like them at the height they are now and don't want to compromise the metal spiky grip the pegs currently have for when I get bike and myself covered in mud.

EDIT - I do just want to try TNC's method though.... once it's in the vise, what do I use to actually apply pressure and bend it? I feel like it still may be hard for me to get enough leverage on it.

Last edited by Zeno; 04-09-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear brake ergonomics w mx boots